Liverpool flop Stewart Downing tipped to make £5m move to Newcastle [Liverpool Echo]
- August 5, 2013
A host of reports are coming through this evening, first of all via the Liverpool Echo, suggesting Stewart Downing will sign for Newcastle for 5 million pounds in the coming days.
The reliable James Pearce of the Liverpool Echo claims Liverpool are prepared to take a huge loss on Downing, who cost 20 million pounds two summers ago.
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers told Downing he was part of his plans earlier this summer but is now reconsidering his options after the Merseyside giants indicated their willingness to sell the winger.
With the likes of Philippe Coutinho, Iago Aspas, Raheem Sterling and Jordon Ibe all available to Rodgers this coming campaign, Downing may struggle for playing time at Anfield.
A return to the north-east would make sense for Downing, who made his name at and came through the ranks at Middlesbrough.
Newcastle completed the season-long loan signing of Loic Remy earlier on Monday evening and are looking to strengthen their attacking options.
Below is the back page of the Daily Express for Tuesday, with the headline: “Toon in for cut-price Downing.”
- Liverpool’s Lazar Markovic presented at Fenerbahce after completing loan move
- Dejan Lovren deletes his Instagram account after abuse from Liverpool fans (Tweets)
- Slaven Bilic tries to explain West Ham’s incredible away form this season
- Chelsea & Liverpool lose, Kamara gets the giggles: Best of Soccer Saturday (video)
- Liverpool were sh*te, w*nk & Dejan Lovren was f*cking abysmal v West Ham (Redmen T...
- West Ham fan gets a tattoo to celebrate beating Liverpool 3-0 (Picture & Tweets)
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...