Liverpool flop Stewart Downing tipped to make £5m move to Newcastle [Liverpool Echo]
- August 5, 2013
A host of reports are coming through this evening, first of all via the Liverpool Echo, suggesting Stewart Downing will sign for Newcastle for 5 million pounds in the coming days.
The reliable James Pearce of the Liverpool Echo claims Liverpool are prepared to take a huge loss on Downing, who cost 20 million pounds two summers ago.
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers told Downing he was part of his plans earlier this summer but is now reconsidering his options after the Merseyside giants indicated their willingness to sell the winger.
With the likes of Philippe Coutinho, Iago Aspas, Raheem Sterling and Jordon Ibe all available to Rodgers this coming campaign, Downing may struggle for playing time at Anfield.
A return to the north-east would make sense for Downing, who made his name at and came through the ranks at Middlesbrough.
Newcastle completed the season-long loan signing of Loic Remy earlier on Monday evening and are looking to strengthen their attacking options.
Below is the back page of the Daily Express for Tuesday, with the headline: “Toon in for cut-price Downing.”
- Man United and Arsenal stars make up the bulk of Michael Owen’s Dream Team XI [Vi...
- How Liverpool could play a 3-4-3 formation next season [Graphic, the Observer]
- Liverpool’s Emre Can rejects Ginter’s criticism after going out for pizza d...
- Southampton’s Nathaniel Clyne photographed after completing Liverpool medical [Pi...
- Steven Gerrard welcomed by less than 10 LA Galaxy fans upon USA arrival [Video]
- Liverpool’s Philippe Coutinho produced a glorious sombrero during Brazil’s ...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi