Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers: “Suarez improved as a player here, we were reluctant to let him go”
- July 11, 2014
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers have released a statement regarding the transfer of Luis Suarez to Barcelona thanking the player for his services at the club and saying that they were reluctant to let him depart.
Suarez improved greatly as a player playing under Rodgers, reaching his full potential, scoring 61 goals in 81 games in all competitions.
Here’s an extract from the statement: “Luis is a very special talent and I thank him for the role he has played in the team in the past two years, during my time at Liverpool.
“I think he would be the first to accept he has improved as a player over that period, along with the team and has benefited from being here, as we have benefited from him.
“The club have done all they can over a sustained period of time to try to keep Luis at Liverpool. It is with great reluctance and following lengthy discussions we have eventually agreed to his wishes to move to Spain for new experiences and challenges. We wish him and his young family well; we will always consider them to be friends.”
You can read his full statement on Liverpool’s official website here.
Watch Live Stream
- Michael Owen backs Barcelona’s Luis Suarez for Ballon d’Or [France Football]October 27, 2016
- Ronaldo makes confession about famous Compostela goal that will anger Barcelona fansOctober 27, 2016
- You pigs: Valencia paper Superdeporte slams FC Barcelona with a graphic front pageOctober 27, 2016
- Neymar upsets Luis Enrique on a trip to London [Sport]October 26, 2016
- Brendan Rodgers says Celtic were ‘top class’ against Man City (Video)September 28, 2016
- Brendan Rodgers lauds ‘beautiful man’ Luis Suarez before facing his former player (Video)September 12, 2016
- Mario Balotelli wasn’t impressed by either ex-Liverpool boss, as coaches or people (Video)September 11, 2016
- Brendan Rodgers: I was doing Pep Guardiola’s full-backs tactical move at Liverpool (Video)September 9, 2016
- Liverpool’s Jurgen Klopp discusses his admiration for Man United legend Sir Alex Ferguson (Video)October 28, 2016
- Eye-opening shooting stats make good reading for Chelsea & Liverpool fans [Opta]October 28, 2016
- Steven Gerrard’s Liverpool return may trigger Wayne Rooney’s Man United exit [Sun]October 28, 2016
- Crystal Palace v Liverpool: Premier League preview, line-ups & predictionsOctober 28, 2016