Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers: “Suarez improved as a player here, we were reluctant to let him go”
- July 11, 2014
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers have released a statement regarding the transfer of Luis Suarez to Barcelona thanking the player for his services at the club and saying that they were reluctant to let him depart.
Suarez improved greatly as a player playing under Rodgers, reaching his full potential, scoring 61 goals in 81 games in all competitions.
Here’s an extract from the statement: “Luis is a very special talent and I thank him for the role he has played in the team in the past two years, during my time at Liverpool.
“I think he would be the first to accept he has improved as a player over that period, along with the team and has benefited from being here, as we have benefited from him.
“The club have done all they can over a sustained period of time to try to keep Luis at Liverpool. It is with great reluctance and following lengthy discussions we have eventually agreed to his wishes to move to Spain for new experiences and challenges. We wish him and his young family well; we will always consider them to be friends.”
You can read his full statement on Liverpool’s official website here.
Watch Live Stream
- Arda Turan denied Luis Suarez an easy tap-in so the striker made sure to return the favour (Video)August 29, 2016
- Luis Suarez called ref Mateu Lahoz a ‘Clown’ during Barcelona’s 1-0 win at Athletic Bilbao (Video)August 29, 2016
- Barcelona accidentally leak early photo of Paco Alcacer on their websiteAugust 29, 2016
- Barcelona youth team show awesome sportsmanship after beating Japanese side (Video)August 29, 2016
- “No Embarrassment” – Brendan Rodgers discusses Celtic’s 1-0 defeat to Lincoln Red Imps (Video)July 13, 2016
- Brendan Rodgers panned as Celtic beaten by semi-pro Gibraltarian club in UCL qualifier [Tweets]July 12, 2016
- New Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers: I turned down PL to manage one of biggest clubs in world (Video)May 23, 2016
- Celtic appoint ex-Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers as their new managerMay 20, 2016
- Liverpool fans react to news that Mamadou Sakho is being forced out the club [Tweets]August 30, 2016
- Liverpool’s Mamadou Sakho told to find a new club before the window shuts [Mail]August 30, 2016
- Liverpool fans love Jamie Carragher’s comment on Daniel Sturridge Instagram postAugust 30, 2016
- Borussia Dortmund reject Liverpool’s £11m bid for Christian Pulisic, loan move possible [ESPN]August 29, 2016