- Brendan Rodgers beginning to doubt whether Mario Balotelli is technically good enough for Liverpool [Mail]
- Wenger on why Sanchez chose Arsenal over Liverpool: ‘Simple. Champions League continuity’ [Star]
- Man City boss Pellegrini: ‘All 3 strikers (Aguero, Dzeko, Jovetic) are out for Crystal Palace’ [Video]
- Divock Origi set to join up with Liverpool in Jan, Rodgers & co to pay Lille €6m extra [L'Equipe]
- Chelsea’s Oscar has ‘Family Fitness Day’ with his wife and sister…
Liverpool and Tottenham both chasing Anzhi’s £35m attacking midfielder Willian [Sun]
The collapse of Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala appears to be producing plenty of transfer rumours in the final weeks of the window.
With reports doing the rounds that Chelsea are closing in on Samuel Eto’o as Anzhi undergo something of a fire sale due to financial problems, now a new rumour is being promulgated by The Sun on Tuesday claiming that Willian is on the radar of both Liverpool and Tottenham.
Willian, a 25-year-old Brazilian with two international caps, only moved to Anzhi in January after accepting a big money move from Ukrainian side Shakhtar Donetsk.
According to The Sun, Anzhi are looking to get as much as £35 million for the playmaker, which would be £5 million more than what they paid for him at the start of 2013. That high price seems unlikely.
The tabloid considers Liverpool to be the frontrunners for Willian as the Anfielders look likely to miss out on Atletico Madrid’s Diego Costa, whilst the Scousers are set open up a new midfield spot in their squad by selling Stewart Downing to West Ham.
As for links to Tottenham, it seems harder to understand why Andre Villas-Boas would want to include another attacking midfielder in his squad.
Tottenham have already acquired Paulinho for big money this summer, while Spurs are already well stocked with midfielders having Mousa Dembélé, Nacer Chadli, Gylfi Sigurðsson, Lewis Holtby, Sandro, Scott Parker and Andros Townsend on their books.
- Updated: August 13, 2013