Liverpool and Tottenham both chasing Anzhi’s £35m attacking midfielder Willian [Sun]
The collapse of Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala appears to be producing plenty of transfer rumours in the final weeks of the window.
With reports doing the rounds that Chelsea are closing in on Samuel Eto’o as Anzhi undergo something of a fire sale due to financial problems, now a new rumour is being promulgated by The Sun on Tuesday claiming that Willian is on the radar of both Liverpool and Tottenham.
Willian, a 25-year-old Brazilian with two international caps, only moved to Anzhi in January after accepting a big money move from Ukrainian side Shakhtar Donetsk.
According to The Sun, Anzhi are looking to get as much as £35 million for the playmaker, which would be £5 million more than what they paid for him at the start of 2013. That high price seems unlikely.
The tabloid considers Liverpool to be the frontrunners for Willian as the Anfielders look likely to miss out on Atletico Madrid’s Diego Costa, whilst the Scousers are set open up a new midfield spot in their squad by selling Stewart Downing to West Ham.
As for links to Tottenham, it seems harder to understand why Andre Villas-Boas would want to include another attacking midfielder in his squad.
Tottenham have already acquired Paulinho for big money this summer, while Spurs are already well stocked with midfielders having Mousa Dembélé, Nacer Chadli, Gylfi Sigurðsson, Lewis Holtby, Sandro, Scott Parker and Andros Townsend on their books.
Watch Live Stream
- Done Deal: Former Man United & Newcastle midfielder Gabriel Obertan moves to RussiaAugust 24, 2016
- Anzhi’s Bernard Berisha saves a pitch invader from being arrested (Video)August 1, 2016
- Anzhi Makhachkala footballer Gasan Magomedov (20) shot dead in his carJanuary 4, 2015
- Anzhi Makhachkala 0 – CSKA Moscow 3March 24, 2014
- Liverpool in talks with Steven Gerrard over a return to Anfield [The Express]October 23, 2016
- Joel Matip heaps praise on Philippe Coutinho following West Brom winOctober 23, 2016
- Jurgen Klopp bursts out laughing after funny mix-up in post-match interview (Video)October 23, 2016
- West Brom boss Tony Pulis explains why he thinks Liverpool can win the title (Video)October 23, 2016
- Ex-Spurs boss Tim Sherwood drops an ‘A*se-Bomb’ live on Sky Sports (Video)October 22, 2016
- Sir Alex Ferguson names Cristiano Ronaldo as the best player he’s coachedOctober 22, 2016
- Bournemouth v Tottenham: Premier League preview, line-ups & predictionsOctober 21, 2016
- Harry Kane returns to Spurs training, updates on InstagramOctober 20, 2016