Liverpool and Chelsea chasing 16 year old Marseille wonderkid Maxime Lopez [Sports Witness]
Liverpool and Chelsea are both tracking Olympic Marseille’s 16 year old playmaker Maxime Lopez.
The youngster has caught the eye of the Chelsea and Liverpool scouts, after impressing in Marseille’s youth teams.
Within the French clubs, there is an existing gentlemen’s agreement not to poach other teams young players, however the English clubs often try to take advantage of that situation.
Lopez has been compared to Mathieu Valbuena due to his similar slight frame and short stature.
A source at the club has voiced his concern that Lopez could leave for the Premier League leaving Marselle with a UEFA set compensation fee instead of a transfer fee. The source said: “If a foreign club offers €20,000 per month to a kid of 16 years… what do we do? This is the law of football business, but we hope he will make the choice with his heart.”
Marseille are hoping to tie Lopez down long term with a 5 year contract. Hoping that the promise of more regular first team football will encourage him to stay in order to help him develop into a true star.
- Diego Costa admits he returned to Chelsea pre-season overweight, defends Jose Mourinho
- Chelsea fans celebrate as Branislav Ivanovic picks up injury [Tweets]
- Good Guy John Terry shoots for Love, nominates former Chelsea teammates (Video)
- The 10 best passers in the Premier League so far, featuring Arsenal & Chelsea stars
- The Twitter response to Jurgen Klopp’s appointment was record-breaking (Graphic)
- Jurgen Klopp arrives in Liverpool in Matze Knop’s wonderfully eccentric skit (Video)
- Arsene Wenger criticizes Liverpool for ‘irrational’ sacking of Brendan Rodgers
- ‘I’m not an Idiot’ : Jurgen Klopp has no beef with Liverpool’s ...