- A musical review of football in 2014 to the song “We Didn’t Start The Fire” [Video]
- Liverpool target Xherdan Shaqiri allowed to leave Bayern Munich in January for £10m [Blick]
- Enhanced Odds! Back runaway Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich to beat Mainz at 11/4!!!
- Classic! Man City’s James Milner incredibly boring interview responses from 2004
- Bournemouth 1 – Liverpool 3: Reds set up Chelsea semifinal as Sterling shines [Official highlights]
Lionel Messi’s 1st goal v AC Milan compared to Diego Maradona v Greece in 1994
I saw a lot of Maradona and played against him. Wonderful though he was, Messi is better and so much more consistent.
— Gary Lineker (@GaryLineker) March 12, 2013
ROY KEANE: “I was a big fan of MARADONA but MESSI is the best I have ever seen. I look for weaknesses in his game but I cannot find them.”
— Argentina Football (@ARG_soccernews) March 13, 2013
Lionel Messi seemingly can’t go through a big match performance without being compared to Diego Maradona in some way.
After scoring twice against AC Milan and setting Barcelona on their way to the Champions League quarter finals, Messi was once again compared favourably to the Argentina’s greatest footballer, until now (see Tweets above).
We have also been inundated with people emailing us and commenting that Messi’s opener, after just five minutes at the Nou Camp, bore more than a passing resemblance with Diego Maradona’s famous goal for Argentina against Greece in the 1994 World Cup.
This would be Maradona’s final goal for Argentina’s national team, before he was sent home from the USA World Cup for failing a drugs test for ephedrine doping.
Comparison of Messi’s goal to Maradona is below.
- Updated: March 13, 2013