Lionel Messi will ask Barcelona to pay him more than Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo [Lluís Mascaró, SPORT]
- September 18, 2013
Cristiano Ronaldo’s bombastic Real Madrid contract extension apparently hasn’t gone unnoticed in Barcelona, with one figure in particularly feeling piqued.
Appearing on Spanish late-night talk show Punto Pelota, SPORT journalist Lluis Mascaró claimed Messi is irked at being overtaken in the earning stakes by Cristiano Ronaldo’s circa €18 million net per year.
Mascaró explains Messi’s logic that, being the best player in the world, he should thus logically be the best paid player in the world, which he is now way off with his current net salary around €12.5 million.
With Messi’s entourage believing Neymar to be earning in the region of €17 million, the four-time Ballon d’Or now wants to earn anywhere in excess of €18 million, to make himself the highest paid player in the world.
As explained in a separate SPORT article, however, there’s just one problem with Messi’s wish: he only signed a contract extension last February which takes him through to 2018, and club President Sandro Rossel
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...