Lionel Messi will ask Barcelona to pay him more than Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo [Lluís Mascaró, SPORT]
- September 18, 2013
Cristiano Ronaldo’s bombastic Real Madrid contract extension apparently hasn’t gone unnoticed in Barcelona, with one figure in particularly feeling piqued.
Appearing on Spanish late-night talk show Punto Pelota, SPORT journalist Lluis Mascaró claimed Messi is irked at being overtaken in the earning stakes by Cristiano Ronaldo’s circa €18 million net per year.
Mascaró explains Messi’s logic that, being the best player in the world, he should thus logically be the best paid player in the world, which he is now way off with his current net salary around €12.5 million.
With Messi’s entourage believing Neymar to be earning in the region of €17 million, the four-time Ballon d’Or now wants to earn anywhere in excess of €18 million, to make himself the highest paid player in the world.
As explained in a separate SPORT article, however, there’s just one problem with Messi’s wish: he only signed a contract extension last February which takes him through to 2018, and club President Sandro Rossel
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...