Lionel Messi set for a deeper role under the tutelage of new Barcelona boss Luis Enrique [Sport]
- July 18, 2014
The front page of today’s edition of Spanish football newspaper Sport says that Lionel Messi is set to play in a deeper position this season.
Messi impressed for Argentina early on in the World Cup but then people began to notice how little he was running, almost on a par with Brazil’s immovable object up front, Fred.
So this has encouraged new Barca boss Luis Enrique to deploy Messi in a deeper position on the pitch, behind the strikers rather than leading the line.
This will allow Messi to still be influential but without doing the work that we’ve come to expect from the Argentinian, worn out by a decade in the Barca first team.
So Sport think that his role in the future will be more about assists than goals, something Paul Morissey said in a recent article he wrote about how Messi’s on-pitch evolution could help new boy Luis Suarez.
- As Leo Messi gets in shape running on a treadmill, Thiago Messi does exercise next to h...
- Individual highlights of Kenedy’s debut for Chelsea against Barcelona (Video)
- Man United set to sign Pedro from Barcelona after they sell Angel Di Maria [Sport]
- Barcelona legend Ronaldinho bags 3 glorious goals in first Fluminense training session ...
- Chelsea 2 – Barcelona 2: Hazard & Cahill find the target before Blues win a ...
- Barcelona are yet to receive a formal offer for Pedro from Manchester United (Sport)
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi