- AC Milan open negotiations with Atletico Madrid hoping to swap Fernando Torres for Alessio Cerci [Guardian]
- Funny! James Milner plays up to his boring reputation as Man City legend Chappy visits [Video]
- Clarke Carlisle is fighting for his life in hospital after being hit by a lorry
- Priceless! Kids are amazed when Iker Casillas competes against them for goalkeeping position! [Video]
- Juventus ultras talk about why they feel the need to get club tattoos [Copa 90 Video]
Lionel Messi set for a deeper role under the tutelage of new Barcelona boss Luis Enrique [Sport]
The front page of today’s edition of Spanish football newspaper Sport says that Lionel Messi is set to play in a deeper position this season.
Messi impressed for Argentina early on in the World Cup but then people began to notice how little he was running, almost on a par with Brazil’s immovable object up front, Fred.
So this has encouraged new Barca boss Luis Enrique to deploy Messi in a deeper position on the pitch, behind the strikers rather than leading the line.
This will allow Messi to still be influential but without doing the work that we’ve come to expect from the Argentinian, worn out by a decade in the Barca first team.
So Sport think that his role in the future will be more about assists than goals, something Paul Morissey said in a recent article he wrote about how Messi’s on-pitch evolution could help new boy Luis Suarez.
- Updated: July 18, 2014