Lionel Messi set for a deeper role under the tutelage of new Barcelona boss Luis Enrique [Sport]
- July 18, 2014
The front page of today’s edition of Spanish football newspaper Sport says that Lionel Messi is set to play in a deeper position this season.
Messi impressed for Argentina early on in the World Cup but then people began to notice how little he was running, almost on a par with Brazil’s immovable object up front, Fred.
So this has encouraged new Barca boss Luis Enrique to deploy Messi in a deeper position on the pitch, behind the strikers rather than leading the line.
This will allow Messi to still be influential but without doing the work that we’ve come to expect from the Argentinian, worn out by a decade in the Barca first team.
So Sport think that his role in the future will be more about assists than goals, something Paul Morissey said in a recent article he wrote about how Messi’s on-pitch evolution could help new boy Luis Suarez.
- Man United goalkeeper Victor Valdes’ move to Besiktas collapses [Di Marzio]
- David De Gea set to join Real Madrid in a cut price deal, Man United eye Gerard Pique [...
- Barcelona 1 – Malaga 0: Thomas Vermaelen scores the winner (Highlights)
- Ex-Arsenal man Thomas Vermaelen saves Barcelona’s bacon in La Liga (Video & ...
- Gerard Pique & Neymar play Poker tournament in Barcelona (Video)
- Barcelona’s Luis Suarez stars as Office Guy in brilliant Abitab advert (Video)
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...