- Jermain Defoe’s dream five-a-side team features Luka Modric and Steven Gerrard [Video]
- Man United target Aymeric Laporte wants move but Bilbao won’t sell for less than £31m buy-out clause
- Real Madrid unveil new signing Lucas Silva to the media [Video]
- Victor Valdes makes his first Man United appearance for the U21s vs Liverpool U21s [Vine]
- Robin van Persie: Scoring five goals against Cambridge isn’t easy but we must make our own luck
Lionel Messi joins forces with Interpol in the fight against organised crime [Video]
Not only in Lionel Messi arguably the best footballer of all-time, but now the Argentine hero is also a crime fighting hero too.
This week Messi joined forced with Interpol in their brand new campaign against organised crime.
The new initiative has a snazzy social media hashtag to go with it: #TurnBackCrime
A press release from Interpol explained Messi’s role in the campaign:
[Messi] has added his voice to INTERPOL’s global campaign to highlight the dangers of organized and other forms of crime and their impact on everyday life.
Together with Argentina’s Minister of Security Sergio Berni, Lionel Messi is backing the INTERPOL campaign encouraging the general public, businesses and governments to play a role in reducing the impact of crime.
While many people know that transnational organized crime networks are behind various forms of trafficking such as illicit goods, fake medicines, drugs, arms and even people, they are often unaware of the links with other seemingly unrelated and varied crimes.
Environmental crime, counterfeiting, cybercrime, kidnapping, fraud, crimes against children and corruption in sport are in fact often interconnected, with profits from one crime area used to fund another.
- Updated: June 9, 2014