- “Gareth Bale has given the green light to sign for Man United next summer” [Sunday Express]
- Real Madrid post YouTube video of Club World Cup celebrations
- Cristiano Ronaldo appeared to snub Michel Platini after the Club World Cup final
- Carlo Ancelotti equals Alex Ferguson & Pep Guardiola trophy haul after Real Madrid win the CWC
- Real Madrid 2 – San Lorenzo 0: Sergio Ramos & Gareth Bale win the Club World Cup [Highlights]
Lionel Messi denies ignoring kid mascot: “I would never do such a thing to a young boy”
Despite scoring his first World Cup goal in eight years, in Argentina’s 2-1 win over Bosnia-Herzegovina, Lionel Messi has become embroiled in a controversy from the minutes preceding the game.
Lionel Messi is alleged to have ignored a young mascot, who had put out his hand to greet the Argentina star, and looked crestfallen when he was ignored.
The Barcelona forward was asked in a press conference on Monday how it was that he appeared to ignore the mascot and he denied the allegations vociferously.
Messi: “How could it be that I did not want to greet the boy? I just did not realise he was there. In fact, I spoke to two other children in the line.”
The Argentine continued: “I would never do such a thing when I have a nephew and young son, I would never do such a thing with a boy.”
Surely the youngster will be found and shown shaking hands with Lionel Messi in the coming days. It seems inevitable now…
- Updated: June 17, 2014