Lionel Messi becomes first player in Spain to hit 50 goals in a season
- April 24, 2011
Lionel Messi was only on the pitch for 32 minutes of Barcelona’s 2-0 win over Osasuna on Saturday night, but it was enough time for him to bag his 50th goal of an incredible campaign and produce some brilliant moments.
The 50th goal came on 87 after a through ball from Dani Alves and can be seen here. As an aside, Dani Alves has provided 19 assists for Messi in 2010/2011, four more than Andres Iniesta and five more than Xavi.
Breaking down Messi’s achievement so far this season, he has scored 31 La Liga goals, nine in the Champions League, seven in the Copa del Rey and three in the Spanish Supercup.Â The previous record had been 49 goals by Real Madrid legend Alfredo Di Stefano.
“The Flea” also produced some brilliant individual moments despite only being on the pitch a short time. There was another example of how “Messi never dives” and he also produced a sublime touch to bamboozle the opposition in the centre circle.
Related video link: Highlights of Barcelona 2 – Osasuna 0.
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...