- Team Sheets: Arsenal v Manchester United
- Mark Lawrenson: ‘Dave Whelan should stand down as Wigan chairman’ [Video]
- Dortmund’s Marco Reus has his ankle bent in a grim injury, likely out for Arsenal game [Pictures]
- Manchester United weighing up January bid for Real Madrid’s Pepe [Metro]
- Leeds, 15th in the Championship with one win in their last 9, take 7000 fans to Blackburn [Pictures]
Lionel Messi becomes first player in Spain to hit 50 goals in a season
Lionel Messi was only on the pitch for 32 minutes of Barcelona’s 2-0 win over Osasuna on Saturday night, but it was enough time for him to bag his 50th goal of an incredible campaign and produce some brilliant moments.
The 50th goal came on 87 after a through ball from Dani Alves and can be seen here. As an aside, Dani Alves has provided 19 assists for Messi in 2010/2011, four more than Andres Iniesta and five more than Xavi.
Breaking down Messi’s achievement so far this season, he has scored 31 La Liga goals, nine in the Champions League, seven in the Copa del Rey and three in the Spanish Supercup.Â The previous record had been 49 goals by Real Madrid legend Alfredo Di Stefano.
“The Flea” also produced some brilliant individual moments despite only being on the pitch a short time. There was another example of how “Messi never dives” and he also produced a sublime touch to bamboozle the opposition in the centre circle.
Related video link: Highlights of Barcelona 2 – Osasuna 0.
- Updated: April 24, 2011