Lionel Messi beats Pele! All 76 goals in 2012 for the Barcelona forward on 1 video
- November 12, 2012
“Leo’s records are spectacular. It’s spectacular when you think that he scores so many goals. Some few players reach these numbers in seven or eight seasons, he does it in one. And most of his goals are great goals.” – Barcelona coach Tito Vilanova.
Lionel Messi’s quest to score the most goals in a calendar year took him past the great Pele on Sunday night, thanks to two goals against Mallorca in Barcelona 4-2 win.
Before anyone gets carried away though, Messi has one final hurdle – Gerd Muller’s incredible total of 85 from the 1972 season.
By our calculations, Messi has a possible 12 games left in 2012 for club and country to break Gerd Muller’s record of goals in a calendar year.
Considering “The Flea” has notched 13 goals in his past 12 matches – you suspect he may well become the new record holder.
All of Lionel Messi’s 76 goals for club and country so far in 2012 can be seen on the video below.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi