Lionel Messi attempts to score another “Hand of God” goal (Barcelona 4 – Getafe 0)
- April 11, 2012
With 61 goals and 25 assists in 2011/2012 so far, it is difficult to find many flaws in Lionel Messi’s game.
So good is the little Argentinian maestro, that he looks set to beat Gerd Muller’s European record of 67 goals in one season and the debate over whether Messi is as good as Pele or Diego Maradona has been raging for some time.
There may however be one flaw in Messi’s game and it is very much an Argentinian trait of “win at all costs” most famously borne out by Diego Maradona’s “hand of God” goal against England in the 1986 World Cup quarter-final.
On Tuesday evening, with Barcelona 2-0 up against Getafe, Lionel Messi threw his hand out in an attempt to divert a left wing cross into the net.
This is not the first time Lionel Messi has attempted such a goal, in fact Messi scored with his hand, against Espanyol in June 2007.
It had been suggested in some quarters that Messi was embarrassed about his goal versus Espanyol five years ago – so why attempt a similar handball in front of the global TV cameras?
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...