Lionel Messi attempts to score another “Hand of God” goal (Barcelona 4 – Getafe 0)
- April 11, 2012
With 61 goals and 25 assists in 2011/2012 so far, it is difficult to find many flaws in Lionel Messi’s game.
So good is the little Argentinian maestro, that he looks set to beat Gerd Muller’s European record of 67 goals in one season and the debate over whether Messi is as good as Pele or Diego Maradona has been raging for some time.
There may however be one flaw in Messi’s game and it is very much an Argentinian trait of “win at all costs” most famously borne out by Diego Maradona’s “hand of God” goal against England in the 1986 World Cup quarter-final.
On Tuesday evening, with Barcelona 2-0 up against Getafe, Lionel Messi threw his hand out in an attempt to divert a left wing cross into the net.
This is not the first time Lionel Messi has attempted such a goal, in fact Messi scored with his hand, against Espanyol in June 2007.
It had been suggested in some quarters that Messi was embarrassed about his goal versus Espanyol five years ago – so why attempt a similar handball in front of the global TV cameras?
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi