Manchester City v Stoke: Predicted line-ups, Premier League preview & betting tips
- August 28, 2014
Possible starting lineups
Manchester City: Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany, Demichales, Clichy, Fernando, Yaya Toure, Silva, Nasri, Aguero, Jovetic
Stoke: Begovic, Bardsley, Shawcross, Wilson, Pieters; Whelan, Adam, N’Zonzi, Bojan, Ireland, Diouf
Predict 6 scores to win £250,000!
SkyBet Super 6 Special: Predict 6 scores to win £250,000!
If the jackpot isn’t won the highest scoring player will get £5,000!
Manchester City will be aiming to maintain their 100% winning start to the new Premier League season as the reigning champs welcome Stoke City to the Etihad on Saturday.
Manuel Pellegrini’s side have so far negotiated tricky matches away at Newcastle and against Liverpool in the league, and in both matches the Citizens impressed.
Yet it’s worth remembering how difficult Stoke made this fixture last season, when the Potters turned up in Manchester and played almost eleven men behind the ball, only for a solitary strike from Yaya Toure to separate the sides.
Whether Mark hughes uses such negative tactics this weekend remains to be seen, but few would blame the Welsh boss for employing a 4-5-1 formation in an effort to stifle the hosts as best as possible.
With Alvaro Negredo still injured, Sergio Aguero may get his first start of the season for Man City after the in-form Edin Dzeko picked up a knock.
Stevan Jovetic will be hoping to continue his good form again this weekend, with there appear few selection headaches around the rest of the CIty side.
As for Stoke, fans maybe hoping for the best from creative sparks Bojan Krkic and Victor Moses, but it’s worth noting that Ryan Shawcross is the club’s only Premier League goalscorer so far this term.
In one of their hardest matches of the season, expect Stoke to limit most of their chances to set plays, where they are likely to be very dangerous.
101GG Predicts: Manchester City 2 – Stoke 1
Bet £10 & Get £20 Free!
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Bet £10 & Get £20 Free!!
Open a new account with William Hill, Bet £10 & Get £20 Free!!
Essential match facts to help with online betting:
Man City have won their last 5 league meetings at home against Stoke, scoring 12 goals and conceding zero.
Sergio Aguero has scored three times in his last three matches at the Etihad against Stoke.
Only relegated Cardiff and Norwich (two each) won fewer away games than Stoke (3) in the Premier League last season.
Only Aston Villa (491) committed more fouls than Stoke City (486) in the 2013-14 Premier League.
Man CIty have won their last seven matches at home in the Premier League.
- Man City agree to sell Edin Dzeko to Roma for €23m [Gazzetta Dello Sport]
- Ex-Chelsea & Man City midfielder Frank Lampard makes his MLS debut (Videos)
- Stuttgart blitz Man City in 1st half; Pellegrini’s side recover to lose 4-2 (Offi...
- Respect: Manchester City fan gets United tattoo for charity
- Guardian 2015-16 Preview: Can Manchester City win their title back? (Video)
- Man City’s Raheem Sterling blocks Liverpool Echo journo James Pearce on Twitter
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi