Lille’s friendly v Maccabi Haifa stopped after fans storm pitch with Palestinian flags
- July 23, 2014
Sad scenes were witnessed during Lille’s pre-season friendly with Maccabi Haifa on Wednesday.
The match was interrupted in the 84th minute when a group of male fans stormed the pitch holding Palestinian flags waving in the air.
The footage showed a coming together between one Haifa player and one of the pitch invaders, and within seconds the trespassers were involved in a ruckus with the Israeli footballers.
It’s worth pointing out that Maccabi Haifa has a long history of having Muslim and Arab players in their side, with the likes of Taleb Tawatha, Mohammadou Idrissou, Weaam Amasha, Ataa Jaber, Mohammed Kalibat, Ismaeel Ryan all currently on the club’s books.
See the sad scenes above.
Maccabi Haifa's coach Aleksandar Stanojević punched a protester who attacked his players. "He was like Rocky" a friend who was there told me
— Ouriel Daskal (@Soccerissue) July 23, 2014
Punches and profanities exchanged with youngsters (apparently of Turkish origin), but all Haifa players leave pitch safely.
— Allon Sinai (@AllonSinai) July 23, 2014
Maccabi Haifa players were assaulted tonight by an anti-Israel mob during a "friendly" match against Lille. Sickening pic.twitter.com/jihd3hRg6U
— Jonathan (@jj34) July 23, 2014
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...