Like A Rockstar: Alessandro Del Piero touches down in Australia to a hero’s welcome from Sydney FC fans
- September 17, 2012
Australian soccer may not be prime-time billing, but if Alessandro Del Piero’s welcome if anything to go that may be about to change.
Around 500 boisterous Sydney FC fans waited patiently at Sydney International Airport for 35-year-old Del Piero to emerge out of out of the terminal following his two day trip from Italy.
When he finally appeared Del Piero was hit by a wall of sound: the Sydney supporters erupted in jubilation at the sight of one of the great footballers of his generation.
Del Piero also offered his new fans a few words in return, saying “I am not here for the end of my career. I am here for the start of a new career.”
On signing for Sydney FC, Del Piero has become the highest-paid footballer in the history of the A-League after he agreed a two-year, $2 million-a-season deal.
Watch Alessandro Del Piero’s rockstar welcome to Australia below.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...