- Manchester United keeper David De Gea has said ‘Yes’ to Real Madrid [Jugones]
- Liverpool train ahead of FA Cup semi-final v Aston Villa [Video]
- Liverpool’s Simon Mignolet talks about his turnaround in form pre-Aston Villa [Video]
- Nacer Chadli and Andros Townsend captain game of Football-Tennis at Spurs training [Video]
- NUTS: Marseille’s Florian Thauvin pulls off slick Elastico-Nutmeg v Nantes [GIF]
Kevin Strootman will miss Holland World Cup campaign due to serious knee injury, set for 9-month lay-off
- March 10, 2014
Holland’s World Cup hopes have taken a real blow on Monday with the news that Kevin Strootman will miss the showpiece tournament.
Strootman tore ligaments in his left knee in the 7th minute of Roma’s defeat to Napoli on Sunday night in Serie A.
He returned to the field but was eventually substituted when it was clear he could no longer continue.
The former PSV midfielder had been one of the revelations of the season at Roma in 2013/2014 and was a key part of Louis van Gaal’s squad going to Brazil.
Reports in Holland suggest that Strootman will be out for nine months as he recovers from this serious knee injury.
Roma will undoubtedly miss Strootman’s drive and determination in the middle of the park but it is considered a major blow for Holland who are in the World Cup Group of Death alongside Spain, Chile and Australia.