Kevin Strootman will miss Holland World Cup campaign due to serious knee injury, set for 9-month lay-off
- March 10, 2014
Holland’s World Cup hopes have taken a real blow on Monday with the news that Kevin Strootman will miss the showpiece tournament.
Strootman tore ligaments in his left knee in the 7th minute of Roma’s defeat to Napoli on Sunday night in Serie A.
He returned to the field but was eventually substituted when it was clear he could no longer continue.
The former PSV midfielder had been one of the revelations of the season at Roma in 2013/2014 and was a key part of Louis van Gaal’s squad going to Brazil.
Reports in Holland suggest that Strootman will be out for nine months as he recovers from this serious knee injury.
Roma will undoubtedly miss Strootman’s drive and determination in the middle of the park but it is considered a major blow for Holland who are in the World Cup Group of Death alongside Spain, Chile and Australia.
- Robin van Persie loses Dutch captaincy, Arjen Robben takes over the Oranje armband
- Dutch FA troll relentless Mexican fan after Robben’s dive inspired a year of tweets
- Leicester City make audacious move for former Holland Manager Guus Hiddink [Independent]
- Holland boss Danny Blind reveals he turned down offer to join Louis van Gaal at Man United
- Backheel + dummy golazo: Japan women score fabulous team goal v Holland [Vine]
- PSV’s Jetro Willems scores incredible backheel penalty in Holland training [Video]
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...