- Jermain Defoe’s dream five-a-side team features Luka Modric and Steven Gerrard [Video]
- Man United target Aymeric Laporte wants move but Bilbao won’t sell for less than £31m buy-out clause
- Real Madrid unveil new signing Lucas Silva to the media [Video]
- Victor Valdes makes his first Man United appearance for the U21s vs Liverpool U21s [Vine]
- Robin van Persie: Scoring five goals against Cambridge isn’t easy but we must make our own luck
Juventus or Arsenal? Gonzalo Higuain confirms he is leaving Real Madrid
Gonzalo Higuain scored the opener for Real Madrid on Saturday night, in a 4-2 victory over Osasuna and after the final La Liga game of the season confirmed he will leave the club in the summer.
Juventus have long thought to be the front runners for Higuain’s signature but Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has also been linked with a move for the Argentine hitman.
So much so that Wenger was accosted outside the Champions League final a week ago and urged to sign Gonzalo Higuain by some Arsenal fans.
Higuain said after the Osasuna win: “I am leaving Real Madrid, the decision has been made, I feel the time is right and I want a change of scenery. I have not decided where I will go, but the club already know that I want to go. It was my decision.”
The 25-year-old, who was captain for his final game, added: “I feel that this is the end of my cycle here. I came here for 12 million euros and I am leaving for more.”
On reported interest from Juventus, Higuain said: ” “Yes, they are a possibility but I do not know.”
A number of Premier League sides, including Arsenal, would undoubtedly be improved by a striker with good hold up skills and a strong record of goal scoring at club and international level.
In 261 matches for Real Madrid, Higuain scored 121 goals and provided 56 assists.
- Updated: June 1, 2013