- Chelsea’s Fernando Torres locks up Atletico homecoming, loan deal until 2016 [Marca & AS]
- Liverpool & Arsenal target Man City’s James Milner for free this summer [Express]
- Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho says sorry for 19th-century football comment aimed at West Ham
- Mario Balotelli set for Liverpool bench as Sampdoria consider a January swoop [Guardian]
- Adriano announces on Twitter that he’s signed for Ligue 2 club Le Havre
Juan Mata’s father & agent approaches Napoli, Barca, Real Madrid, Inter & PSG about January move from Chelsea
Juan Mata’s reaction to being substituted at Southampton on New Year’s Day was always likely to be the catalyst for plenty of speculation about the Spanish playmaker’s future in January.
And so it has proved, with plenty of reports in the Sunday papers today after Juan Mata has fallen out of favour with Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho.
Duncan Castles in The Sunday Times, who has good connections with many key figures at Chelsea, reports on Sunday that Juan Mata’s father, who is also his agent, has been trying to sell the former Valencia schemer to a number of clubs.
Castles writes: “Mata’s upset with his status this season has been exacerbated by a desire to start for Spain in this summer’s World Cup. Contact has also been made with Barcelona, Real Madrid, Internazionale and Paris Saint-Germain about a January switch.”
Napoli seem best placed, perhaps to loan Mata this January, with Rafa Benitez in charge for the Serie A side and already out of the Champions League.
Mata’s hopes of a departure from Chelsea may not be so smooth though, a report in the Mail on Sunday by Joe Bernstein suggests the Blues are unwilling to let him go.
Chelsea are seemingly keen to hold on to Mata for their charge on the title and Champions League and feel they can get a 30 million pound fee from PSG in the summer.
- Updated: January 5, 2014