- Brendan Rodgers: ‘We were outstanding’ / Wenger: A draw was the fair result’ [Video]
- Supersonic Golazo! Inter’s Mateo Kovacic scores Thunder-bastard volley v Lazio [GIF & Video]
- Arsenal fan says ‘Liverpool fans should be embarrassed by the lack of atmosphere at Anfield’ [Video]
- ‘United In Grief’: Best ever Half-and-Half shirt spotted at Newcastle 0 – Sunderland 1. Respect Sir!
- Liverpool fan Chris deliberately winds up Gooners by calling Alexis Sanchez a waste of money [Video]
Juan Mata will have to publicly announce he wants to leave Chelsea for Man United to force through move [AS]
If you read much of the English press this morning, it certainly feels like Juan Mata’s move from Chelsea to Manchester United will happen before the end of the January transfer window.
Speculation is rife that Manchester United and Chelsea have already agreed a deal with a possibility Mata could make his debut at Old Trafford next Tuesday for the clash with Cardiff.
Gullem Balague writes in AS that the 48 million euro deal is close to completion with negotiations between Chelsea and United far advanced.
The Spanish pundit adds that Mourinho sees the move as an opportunity to put pressure on title rivals Manchester City and Arsenal.
Chelsea have already played Manchester United twice this season and Mata could now be a key player in the title race.
[101GG opinion: This argument has any number of flaws in it... Won't United be title rivals next season? etc.]
Balague does claim however that Mourinho is conscious of a fan backlash over selling Mata with the Spaniard one of the most popular players at Stramford Bridge.
As a result, Mourinho wants Mata to come out and announce he wants to leave Stamford Bridge publicly, to push through the move and take any ensuring pressure off the Special One.
Finally, Balague suggests Juan Mata’s signing is the first of “six or seven signings to come into the Manchester United first team” over the next six months, as David Moyes looks to undergo a complete overhaul.
- Updated: January 22, 2014