Juan Mata will have to publicly announce he wants to leave Chelsea for Man United to force through move [AS]
- January 22, 2014
If you read much of the English press this morning, it certainly feels like Juan Mata’s move from Chelsea to Manchester United will happen before the end of the January transfer window.
Speculation is rife that Manchester United and Chelsea have already agreed a deal with a possibility Mata could make his debut at Old Trafford next Tuesday for the clash with Cardiff.
Gullem Balague writes in AS that the 48 million euro deal is close to completion with negotiations between Chelsea and United far advanced.
The Spanish pundit adds that Mourinho sees the move as an opportunity to put pressure on title rivals Manchester City and Arsenal.
Chelsea have already played Manchester United twice this season and Mata could now be a key player in the title race.
[101GG opinion: This argument has any number of flaws in it… Won’t United be title rivals next season? etc.]
Balague does claim however that Mourinho is conscious of a fan backlash over selling Mata with the Spaniard one of the most popular players at Stramford Bridge.
As a result, Mourinho wants Mata to come out and announce he wants to leave Stamford Bridge publicly, to push through the move and take any ensuring pressure off the Special One.
Finally, Balague suggests Juan Mata’s signing is the first of “six or seven signings to come into the Manchester United first team” over the next six months, as David Moyes looks to undergo a complete overhaul.
The 10 Worst Signings of The 14/15 Premier League Season
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi
- Best memes & photoshops ahead of the Barcelona v Juventus CL final [Video]