Juan Mata tells Canal + that Manchester United can still make the top 4 this season
With 12 games of the 2013/2014 Premier League season remaining, Manchester United are currently placed in seventh.
David Moyes’ side are 11 points off Liverpool in fourth, eight behind Spurs and three from catching Everton, with the Toffees having a game in hand on Manchester United.
It is fair to say that Manchester United need to win pretty much every Premier League game remaining this season to make the top four and a spot in the Champions League next season.
Of course, United could win the Champions League and qualify that way, but having seen their form so far this season, that seems unlikely.
Speaking to Canal + last night, Juan Mata, Manchester United’s major January signing, contended that the Premier League champions can make the top four.
Mata: “The objective is to get to the Champions League spots. It’s difficult because Liverpool are doing well, so are Arsenal, as well as Tottenham and Everton, who are all clubs also fighting for them, but I think we have a team who can do it.”
The Spanish schemer continued: “This is Manchester United. When this club wins two, three or four matches in a row, it has a very important mental strength, a winner’s mentality. We are coming and I think we can do it, but we have to win a lot of games first.”
Further on in the interview, Mata added: “This is a club that should always be fighting for the Premier League. I think, in the last 20 or 21 years, they’ve won 13 times. The mentality of this club is to win and fight for all the trophies. Unfortunately this year, things haven’t gone so well in the league, but I believe there is still time this season. With the mentality and the staff that we have, I believe we can climb up the table and win as many games as possible.”
Watch Live Stream
- Juan Mata reveals the Man United players are upset after West Ham drawNovember 28, 2016
- Juan Mata’s reaction to almost scoring an audacious chip v Feyenoord was hilarious (GIF)November 26, 2016
- Brilliant reverse pass from Wayne Rooney sets up Juan Mata tap-in v Feyenoord (Video)November 24, 2016
- Man United’s Juan Mata is a big game player: Outstrips Arsenal’s Mesut OzilNovember 22, 2016
- Man United boss Jose Mourinho set to be the focus of a tax fraud investigationDecember 3, 2016
- Kevin De Bruyne hits the crossbar from five yards out against Chelsea (Video)December 3, 2016
- Mourinho insists he had Herculean workload to recalibrate Man United from Van Gaal era (Video)December 3, 2016
- Anthony Martial calls his performance vs West Ham a ‘confidence boost’ (Video)December 3, 2016