Juan Mata tells Canal + that Manchester United can still make the top 4 this season
With 12 games of the 2013/2014 Premier League season remaining, Manchester United are currently placed in seventh.
David Moyes’ side are 11 points off Liverpool in fourth, eight behind Spurs and three from catching Everton, with the Toffees having a game in hand on Manchester United.
It is fair to say that Manchester United need to win pretty much every Premier League game remaining this season to make the top four and a spot in the Champions League next season.
Of course, United could win the Champions League and qualify that way, but having seen their form so far this season, that seems unlikely.
Speaking to Canal + last night, Juan Mata, Manchester United’s major January signing, contended that the Premier League champions can make the top four.
Mata: “The objective is to get to the Champions League spots. It’s difficult because Liverpool are doing well, so are Arsenal, as well as Tottenham and Everton, who are all clubs also fighting for them, but I think we have a team who can do it.”
The Spanish schemer continued: “This is Manchester United. When this club wins two, three or four matches in a row, it has a very important mental strength, a winner’s mentality. We are coming and I think we can do it, but we have to win a lot of games first.”
Further on in the interview, Mata added: “This is a club that should always be fighting for the Premier League. I think, in the last 20 or 21 years, they’ve won 13 times. The mentality of this club is to win and fight for all the trophies. Unfortunately this year, things haven’t gone so well in the league, but I believe there is still time this season. With the mentality and the staff that we have, I believe we can climb up the table and win as many games as possible.”
Watch Live Stream
- Man United’s Juan Mata sums up campaign & celebrates FA Cup win in final blog of the s...May 23rd, 2016
- Juan Mata saw Alan Pardew’s dance and it clearly annoyed him (Video)May 21st, 2016
- Fans joke after Chelsea’s Diego Costa & Man United’s Juan Mata omitted from Spai...May 17th, 2016
- Good Guy Juan Mata gives the most Juan Mata interview ever after Norwich win (Video)May 7th, 2016
- Marcus Rashford becomes youngest ever player to score on England debut (Videos)May 27th, 2016
- Twitter goes nuts as Man Utd’s Marcus Rashford scores 135 seconds into his England debutMay 27th, 2016
- Mourinho took less than a minute of being Manchester United boss to troll Van Gaal (Video)May 27th, 2016
- Chelsea chose the wrong day to bid their fans a Good Morning [Tweets]May 27th, 2016