Jose Mourinho wants to bring Raphael Varane to Chelsea having called him “the best young defender” [AS]
- May 4, 2014
An old transfer rumour is regurgitated in the Spanish press this weekend as AS report that Jose Mourinho wants to bring Raphael Varane to Chelsea.
Jose Mourinho has his beady eye on Raphael Varane. The Chelsea manager has already started to draw up his lists for the next season and has asked the directors of the London club to sign the Real Madrid centre-back.
In truth there is little new information in the AS report.
Back in March rumours first started to spill out that Mourinho was chasing the French defender after the Special One publicly declared Varane to be “the best young defender” in the world.
Mourinho’s lofty praise of Varane should come as no shock.
The Portuguese boss brought the Frenchman for Real Madrid from Lens in 2011 for €10 million, and Mourinho is keenly aware that the defender has a £25 million release clause in his contract.
According to the rumour mill, Mourinho would now like to bring in Varane as the long term successor to John Terry (which may leave many asking why they club bought Kurt Zouma from St Etienne if that is true).
For the record, Varane, who is under contract in Madrid until 2017, has recently again committed his future to the club. Recently he told reporters “At 18 I was ready to play in Madrid. It took a year, to get used to the pace and get used to the club. Last season, everything was fine. Now it’s even better. It’s great to be considered part of the future of Real and France.”
Listen to Jose Mourinho lavish praise on Raphael Varane below.
- Drake scores a penalty past Chelsea legend Didier Drogba [Instagram video]
- Chelsea YouTuber @feroze17 welcomes Radamel Falcao to the club with classy video
- Diego Costa smashes into people and scores nutmeg during futsal friendly in Kuwait [Video]
- Diego Costa says he’d love to have Arda Turan and his kebabs at Chelsea [Bugün]
- John Terry puts in comedic performance in new ad for Chelsea HD TV [Video]
- Fiorentina threaten to take legal action after Mohamed Salah backs out of loan agreement
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi