Jose Mourinho wants to bring Raphael Varane to Chelsea having called him “the best young defender” [AS]
An old transfer rumour is regurgitated in the Spanish press this weekend as AS report that Jose Mourinho wants to bring Raphael Varane to Chelsea.
Jose Mourinho has his beady eye on Raphael Varane. The Chelsea manager has already started to draw up his lists for the next season and has asked the directors of the London club to sign the Real Madrid centre-back.
In truth there is little new information in the AS report.
Back in March rumours first started to spill out that Mourinho was chasing the French defender after the Special One publicly declared Varane to be “the best young defender” in the world.
Mourinho’s lofty praise of Varane should come as no shock.
The Portuguese boss brought the Frenchman for Real Madrid from Lens in 2011 for €10 million, and Mourinho is keenly aware that the defender has a £25 million release clause in his contract.
According to the rumour mill, Mourinho would now like to bring in Varane as the long term successor to John Terry (which may leave many asking why they club bought Kurt Zouma from St Etienne if that is true).
For the record, Varane, who is under contract in Madrid until 2017, has recently again committed his future to the club. Recently he told reporters “At 18 I was ready to play in Madrid. It took a year, to get used to the pace and get used to the club. Last season, everything was fine. Now it’s even better. It’s great to be considered part of the future of Real and France.”
Listen to Jose Mourinho lavish praise on Raphael Varane below.
Watch Live Stream
- Who plugged you in? Juan Cuadrado gives vital weather update at Chelsea training (Video)July 30, 2016
- Chelsea legend Didier Drogba jokes about signing for Arsenal after friendly defeat (Video)July 29, 2016
- Chelsea agree deal for Polish goalkeeper Marcin Bułka [Przeglad Sportowy]July 29, 2016
- Diego Costa & Nemanja Matic star in new Chelsea 3rd kit videoJuly 29, 2016
- Real Madrid have decided to sell Raphael Varane amidst Man United interest [El Confidencial]June 29, 2016
- Raphael Varane’s Real Madrid future in doubt, Man United linked to defender [Marca]June 14, 2016
- Real Madrid defender Raphael Varane ruled out of Euro 2016 with injuryMay 24, 2016
- Man United’s £29m bid for Raphael Varane rejected by Real Madrid [Corriere dello Sport]May 23, 2016
- Zinedine Zidane gives son Enzo his Real Madrid debut v PSG (Video)July 28, 2016
- Meunier at the double as PSG ease past Real Madrid 3-1 (Videos)July 28, 2016
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang slams the media on Instagram for his supposed Real Madrid obsessionJuly 27, 2016
- Man United target Paul Pogba urges fans not to believe the newspapers (Video)July 27, 2016