- Manchester City make Koke (Atletico Madrid) & Paul Pogba (Juve) summer transfer targets [MD]
- Chelsea leading Barça & Man United in race to sign Corinthians’ £20m-rated Malcolm Silva [Express]
- Real Madrid players want to face Chelsea in Champions League to shut Mourinho up [MARCA]
- Everton boss Roberto Martinez: ‘Papiss Cisse’s elbow was unacceptable, he went to hurt Coleman’ [Video]
- Newcastle No2 John Carver: ‘I was eating a pie when Alan Pardew asked me to do press conference’
Jose Mourinho says paying Luke Shaw’s Manchester United wages would have killed Chelsea morale [Backpages]
Manchester United raied a few eyebrows with their signing of Luke Shaw.
Not due to his quality or world-class potential ; that isn’t in doubt, but over the £27m fee they paid for him, and £100,000 per week wages.
Chelsea were also in for Shaw, with their left-back berth vacant following Ashley Cole’s departure, but they pulled out of the bidding, and instead went for Filipe Luis.
Jose Mourinho has now revealed the reasoning behind the decision, with a thinly veiled taunt at United, saying that giving so much money to a young kid would have ruffled senior feathers:
‘If we pay to a 19-year old what we were being asked for Luke Shaw we are dead.
We lose all of our dressing room stability.’
- Updated: July 25, 2014