Jose Mourinho says paying Luke Shaw’s Manchester United wages would have killed Chelsea morale [Backpages]
- July 25, 2014
Manchester United raied a few eyebrows with their signing of Luke Shaw.
Not due to his quality or world-class potential ; that isn’t in doubt, but over the £27m fee they paid for him, and £100,000 per week wages.
Chelsea were also in for Shaw, with their left-back berth vacant following Ashley Cole’s departure, but they pulled out of the bidding, and instead went for Filipe Luis.
Jose Mourinho has now revealed the reasoning behind the decision, with a thinly veiled taunt at United, saying that giving so much money to a young kid would have ruffled senior feathers:
‘If we pay to a 19-year old what we were being asked for Luke Shaw we are dead.
We lose all of our dressing room stability.’
- PSG reject bid from Chelsea for Marquinhos [Mail]
- Chelsea loanee Lewis Baker scores & misses penalty for Vitesse (video)
- Manchester City officially sign Kevin De Bruyne from Wolfsburg [Vine & Best Tweets]
- Chelsea loanee Dom Solanke scores first goal in professional football for Vitesse (Video)
- Gary Neville: Chelsea’s players need a slap around the face, Branislav Ivanovic c...
- Jose Mourinho: Crystal Palace were lucky & singles out 1 Chelsea player (video)
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...