- Liverpool target Aston Villa’s Fabian Delph as Steven Gerrard replacement [Mirror]
- Eden Hazard agrees £52m Chelsea deal taking him through to 2020 [Sun]
- FC United of Manchester sing songs for Eric Cantona and The Busby Babes [Video]
- Jose Mourinho tells Talksport he was ‘inches away’ from signing Thierry Henry – for Barça!
- Spurs’ Emmanuel Adebayor posts tribute to Thierry Henry with picture of pair from Arsenal days
Jose Mourinho has given his approval for David Luiz to leave Chelsea for Barcelona [El Mundo Deportivo]
The rumours have been rife for a few days now and there is becoming now a tide of reporting in both Brazil and Spain that confirms David Luiz will leave Chelsea for Barcelona this summer.
El Mundo Deportivo report on Monday morning that Barcelona will likely secure two signings in the coming weeks: young German keeper Marc-André Ter Stegen and David Luiz.
Barcelona tried to sign the Brazilian defender last summer but the move was blocked by Jose Mourinho.
This summer, The Special One will allow Luiz to depart Stamford Bridge, in a bid to strengthen other areas of his team with the incoming cash and because he is not completely convinced by the Brazilian defender.
Mourinho has played Luiz in midfield on a fair few occasions and appears to have other players in mind for the centre of Chelsea’s defence.
Luiz’s transfer from Chelsea to Barcelona now rests upon Luis Enrique who is expected to take over from Tata Martino at the Nou Camp once the 2013/2014 season comes to a close.
Would David Luiz be a big loss for Chelsea?
A central defensive pairing of Gerard Pique and Luiz at Barcelona could be quite impressive…
Perhaps Chelsea would be better off waiting until after the World Cup, when Luiz’s transfer fee will likely increase.
- Updated: May 12, 2014