Jose Mourinho explains to Chelsea TV why Lukaku was allowed to join Everton on loan [Video]
One of the biggest moves on the final day of the transfer window saw Romelu Lukaku pack his bags at Chelsea in order to join Everton on a season long loan.
Lukaku’s move could many off-guard as, until the deal happened in the final hours of the transfer window, the biggest story surrounding Chelsea was Demba Ba’s rumoured link to Arsenal on a year long loan.
As we now know, Ba’s move to the Emirates never came to pass, but Chelsea did streamline the strikers on their books by allowing Lukaku to move to Goodison Park.
The signing of Lukaku was celebration in Liverpool as Everton bagged the terrific 20-year-old forward who scored 17 goals in 35 games with West Brom last campaign.
Lukaku joined Chelsea in 2011 for a fee reported to be around €12 million (£10 million), rising to €20 million (£17 million) with add-ons. Lukaku signed a five-year contract, however to date the forward has yet to break into the Chelsea first team set-up.
So why did Mourinho let the brilliant Belgium striker leave? The Special One spoke to Chelsea TV on Tuesday, saying:
With Lukaku, we have Fernando, Eto’o and Demba. Of course he would get playing time, but it’s the choice of playing basically every weekend. He had lots of clubs and options, and we have to respect his decision.
Listen to Jose Mourinho’s comments below.
Watch Live Stream
- Chelsea boss Antonio Conte blocking Juan Cuadrado’s loan back to Juventus [Di Marzio]August 24, 2016
- Chelsea starlet Mario Pasalic to join AC Milan on season long-loan for €1m [Di Marzio]August 24, 2016
- Chelsea up their offer for AC Milan’s Alessio Romagnoli [RMC Sport]August 24, 2016
- Chelsea’s John Terry is the best defender in England (Sky Sports Video)August 24, 2016
- Everton overtake Arsenal in the race for an Algerian winger [Record]August 22, 2016
- Everton have placed a bid for Manchester City keeper Joe Hart [Telegraph]August 21, 2016
- Everton’s Yannick Bolasie claims Chelsea target Romelu Lukaku nagged him to join (Video)August 18, 2016
- Joe Hart may join Everton or Sevilla on loan [BBC]August 17, 2016
- Mino Raiola offers Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli to Man United [Gazzetta]August 24, 2016
- Wolves man Cameron Borthwick-Jackson reveals Jose Mourinho’s encouraging words (Video)August 22, 2016
- Jose Mourinho’s treatment of Bastian Schweinsteiger will cost Manchester United a few £ millionAugust 21, 2016
- Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho explains how he reached out to ‘unloved’ Marouane FellainiAugust 20, 2016