Jose Mourinho explains to Chelsea TV why Lukaku was allowed to join Everton on loan [Video]
One of the biggest moves on the final day of the transfer window saw Romelu Lukaku pack his bags at Chelsea in order to join Everton on a season long loan.
Lukaku’s move could many off-guard as, until the deal happened in the final hours of the transfer window, the biggest story surrounding Chelsea was Demba Ba’s rumoured link to Arsenal on a year long loan.
As we now know, Ba’s move to the Emirates never came to pass, but Chelsea did streamline the strikers on their books by allowing Lukaku to move to Goodison Park.
The signing of Lukaku was celebration in Liverpool as Everton bagged the terrific 20-year-old forward who scored 17 goals in 35 games with West Brom last campaign.
Lukaku joined Chelsea in 2011 for a fee reported to be around €12 million (£10 million), rising to €20 million (£17 million) with add-ons. Lukaku signed a five-year contract, however to date the forward has yet to break into the Chelsea first team set-up.
So why did Mourinho let the brilliant Belgium striker leave? The Special One spoke to Chelsea TV on Tuesday, saying:
With Lukaku, we have Fernando, Eto’o and Demba. Of course he would get playing time, but it’s the choice of playing basically every weekend. He had lots of clubs and options, and we have to respect his decision.
Listen to Jose Mourinho’s comments below.
- Chelsea old boy Didier Drogba picks Arsenal to win the league, praises Jamie Vardy (Sky Sports Au...
- How the PL table would look if every Paul Merson prediction was correct [Graphic]
- Incredible Champions League statistic about Chelsea free-kick specialist Willian
- Jose Mourinho on needing a calculator & fighting with Diego Costa (Video)
- Roberto Martinez and Everton players star in hammy half season ticket advert (Video)
- Everton & Liverpool players named in European team of the week [Gazzetta]
- BBC’s team of the week has Jamie Vardy & Harry Kane up front, Liverpool & Man Uni...
- Callum Connolly scores superb goal for Everton U21s v Porto (Video)
- Jose Mourinho talks about the return of Chelsea’s morale after the win in Tel Aviv (Video)
- Jose Mourinho and Diego Costa had a screaming match at half-time of their game against Maccabi Te...
- Jose Mourinho turned into a groundsman during Chelsea’s match at Maccabi Tel Aviv (Video)
- Jose Mourinho flatters Maccabi Tel-Aviv before bemoaning their ‘really bad’ pitch (Vi...