Jose Mourinho explains to Chelsea TV why Lukaku was allowed to join Everton on loan [Video]
- September 4, 2013
One of the biggest moves on the final day of the transfer window saw Romelu Lukaku pack his bags at Chelsea in order to join Everton on a season long loan.
Lukaku’s move could many off-guard as, until the deal happened in the final hours of the transfer window, the biggest story surrounding Chelsea was Demba Ba’s rumoured link to Arsenal on a year long loan.
As we now know, Ba’s move to the Emirates never came to pass, but Chelsea did streamline the strikers on their books by allowing Lukaku to move to Goodison Park.
The signing of Lukaku was celebration in Liverpool as Everton bagged the terrific 20-year-old forward who scored 17 goals in 35 games with West Brom last campaign.
Lukaku joined Chelsea in 2011 for a fee reported to be around €12 million (£10 million), rising to €20 million (£17 million) with add-ons. Lukaku signed a five-year contract, however to date the forward has yet to break into the Chelsea first team set-up.
So why did Mourinho let the brilliant Belgium striker leave? The Special One spoke to Chelsea TV on Tuesday, saying:
With Lukaku, we have Fernando, Eto’o and Demba. Of course he would get playing time, but it’s the choice of playing basically every weekend. He had lots of clubs and options, and we have to respect his decision.
Listen to Jose Mourinho’s comments below.
- Chelsea agree terms with Baba Rahman, negotiating fee with Augsburg (Di Marzio)
- Theo Walcott is confident Arsenal can beat Chelsea in the Community Shield (Video)
- Chelsea loanee Patrick Bamford scores 20-minute hat-trick for Crystal Palace (Video)
- Man United set to offer Jonny Evans plus cash in a bid to sign Chelsea target John Ston...
- Montreal Impact publish extended video of Didier Drogba’s incredible welcome (Video)
- Chelsea’s Diego Costa once killed his pet Yorkshire Terrier by accidentally runni...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi