Jose Mourinho explains to Chelsea TV why Lukaku was allowed to join Everton on loan [Video]
- September 4, 2013
One of the biggest moves on the final day of the transfer window saw Romelu Lukaku pack his bags at Chelsea in order to join Everton on a season long loan.
Lukaku’s move could many off-guard as, until the deal happened in the final hours of the transfer window, the biggest story surrounding Chelsea was Demba Ba’s rumoured link to Arsenal on a year long loan.
As we now know, Ba’s move to the Emirates never came to pass, but Chelsea did streamline the strikers on their books by allowing Lukaku to move to Goodison Park.
The signing of Lukaku was celebration in Liverpool as Everton bagged the terrific 20-year-old forward who scored 17 goals in 35 games with West Brom last campaign.
Lukaku joined Chelsea in 2011 for a fee reported to be around €12 million (£10 million), rising to €20 million (£17 million) with add-ons. Lukaku signed a five-year contract, however to date the forward has yet to break into the Chelsea first team set-up.
So why did Mourinho let the brilliant Belgium striker leave? The Special One spoke to Chelsea TV on Tuesday, saying:
With Lukaku, we have Fernando, Eto’o and Demba. Of course he would get playing time, but it’s the choice of playing basically every weekend. He had lots of clubs and options, and we have to respect his decision.
Listen to Jose Mourinho’s comments below.
- Didier Drogba speaks to Rio Ferdinand about two very different Champions League finals ...
- Leaked: Chelsea’s brand new home kit for the 15/16 season [Pictures]
- Chelsea legend Didier Drogba reveals his toughest ever opponents to Rio Ferdinand [Video]
- Barcelona could announce the signing of Chelsea target Arda Turan today [AS]
- Nathan becomes the latest Chelsea player to join Vitesse on loan [De Telegraaf]
- Drake scores a penalty past Chelsea legend Didier Drogba [Instagram video]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi