Jose Mourinho explains to Chelsea TV why Lukaku was allowed to join Everton on loan [Video]
- September 4, 2013
One of the biggest moves on the final day of the transfer window saw Romelu Lukaku pack his bags at Chelsea in order to join Everton on a season long loan.
Lukaku’s move could many off-guard as, until the deal happened in the final hours of the transfer window, the biggest story surrounding Chelsea was Demba Ba’s rumoured link to Arsenal on a year long loan.
As we now know, Ba’s move to the Emirates never came to pass, but Chelsea did streamline the strikers on their books by allowing Lukaku to move to Goodison Park.
The signing of Lukaku was celebration in Liverpool as Everton bagged the terrific 20-year-old forward who scored 17 goals in 35 games with West Brom last campaign.
Lukaku joined Chelsea in 2011 for a fee reported to be around €12 million (£10 million), rising to €20 million (£17 million) with add-ons. Lukaku signed a five-year contract, however to date the forward has yet to break into the Chelsea first team set-up.
So why did Mourinho let the brilliant Belgium striker leave? The Special One spoke to Chelsea TV on Tuesday, saying:
With Lukaku, we have Fernando, Eto’o and Demba. Of course he would get playing time, but it’s the choice of playing basically every weekend. He had lots of clubs and options, and we have to respect his decision.
Listen to Jose Mourinho’s comments below.
- Papy Djilobodji gives his first interview as a Chelsea player following move from Nante...
- Chelsea medic Eva Carneiro has not returned to work since being demoted by Jose Mourinh...
- Paul Pogba rejected Chelsea move after Juventus accepted €85m offer [Gazzetta]
- Kid’s got talent: Footage of Chelsea’s 12-year-old sensation Ben Elliott (V...
- Chelsea’s Pedro skinned Arsenal’s Santi Cazorla at Spain training (Video)
- Pedro finally explains his decision to join Chelsea ahead of Manchester United [Marca]
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...