Jose Mourinho explains to Chelsea TV why Lukaku was allowed to join Everton on loan [Video]
One of the biggest moves on the final day of the transfer window saw Romelu Lukaku pack his bags at Chelsea in order to join Everton on a season long loan.
Lukaku’s move could many off-guard as, until the deal happened in the final hours of the transfer window, the biggest story surrounding Chelsea was Demba Ba’s rumoured link to Arsenal on a year long loan.
As we now know, Ba’s move to the Emirates never came to pass, but Chelsea did streamline the strikers on their books by allowing Lukaku to move to Goodison Park.
The signing of Lukaku was celebration in Liverpool as Everton bagged the terrific 20-year-old forward who scored 17 goals in 35 games with West Brom last campaign.
Lukaku joined Chelsea in 2011 for a fee reported to be around €12 million (£10 million), rising to €20 million (£17 million) with add-ons. Lukaku signed a five-year contract, however to date the forward has yet to break into the Chelsea first team set-up.
So why did Mourinho let the brilliant Belgium striker leave? The Special One spoke to Chelsea TV on Tuesday, saying:
With Lukaku, we have Fernando, Eto’o and Demba. Of course he would get playing time, but it’s the choice of playing basically every weekend. He had lots of clubs and options, and we have to respect his decision.
Listen to Jose Mourinho’s comments below.
Watch Live Stream
- Pep Guardiola told Yaya Toure to sit down & not warm up v Chelsea (Video)December 4, 2016
- Brutal: David Luiz’s mum savages Sergio Aguero after Man City 1 – Chelsea 3 [Instagram]December 4, 2016
- Chelsea loanee Nathan avoided a booking for his Chapecoense goal celebration (Video)December 4, 2016
- Will he be banned? Everyone saw Cesc Fabregas slap Fernandinho [Tweets]December 4, 2016
- Everton v Man United: Premier League preview, line-ups & predictionsDecember 3, 2016
- Everton & West Brom keen on signing Morgan Schneiderlin from Man United [Telegraph]December 2, 2016
- Everton fans force Ronald Koeman to change his Christmas treeDecember 1, 2016
- Gary Lineker speaks about playing against ‘all-time great’ Ronald Koeman (Video)November 21, 2016
- Man United boss Jose Mourinho set to be the focus of a tax fraud investigationDecember 3, 2016
- Mourinho insists he had Herculean workload to recalibrate Man United from Van Gaal era (Video)December 3, 2016
- The Defeated One? Jose Mourinho admits he may never win PL title at Manchester UnitedDecember 3, 2016
- Football Leaks drop biggest ever data dump: Ronaldo, Ozil, Mourinho & Mendes accused of dirty money dealsDecember 3, 2016