John Terry: “Lamps… no!” as Frank offers him the Chelsea captain’s armband (GIFs)
- January 13, 2013
When the regular debate about the England captaincy comes up, we are often told that for players themselves, who is captain is irrelevant.
However, evidence over the past week suggests otherwise. First off, we had Iker Casillas refusing the armband from Cristiano Ronaldo during Real Madrid’s win over Real Sociedad last Sunday.
And on Saturday, a similar situation played out at the Britannia Stadium as Chelsea romped to a 4-0 victory over Stoke.
John Terry made his return from injury with ten minutes remaining and Chelsea cruising.
Frank Lampard offered Terry the armband despite having captained Chelsea to Champions League glory at Bayern Munich last season.
Terry refused the offer (as can be seen on the GIFs below) but did take the armband when pressed by Lampard once on the pitch.
We may have just got a glimpse of the great friendship and mutual respect between two Chelsea legends. And considering the negative press John Terry receives, this does suggest he is more of a team player than he is given credit for.
GIFs below, followed by video.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi