Johan Djourou almost ‘pulls a Woody’ 30 minutes into his Hannover debut
- January 19, 2013
‘To pull a Woody‘ -verb.To get sent off on one’s debut. (ref: Jonathan Woodgate).
36 minutes into his Hannover debut against Schalke on Friday night, Johan Djourou came this close to emulating Jonathan Woodgate’s Real Madrid debut, in which he was infamously sent off.
In a footrace with Jefferson Farfan, who had a clear start, Djourou chased down a loose ball with a searing pace he showed all too infrequently at Arsenal.
Farfan won, got a touch on the ball, and Djourou ended up recklessly (though not dangerously) sliding to ground in a last-ditch attempt to get something on it.
The Veltins Arena erupted, and bayed out for the still-contracted Arsenal defender to be shown the debut red.
The ref showed clemency, however, and though the yellow was the correct decision, you can tell by Djourou’s initial reaction that he feared the worst.
[jwplayer config=”For-all-videos” mediaid=”287155″]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi