- NUTS! Moussa Dembélé nutmegs Andros Townsend at Spurs training, then scores! [Video]
- Jose Mourinho receives phone call during presser, doesn’t know how to simply silence it [Video]
- Arsene Wenger: ‘There’s a special atmosphere at Anfield, I have huge respect for Liverpool fans’ [Video]
- Leaked! Chelsea’s possible 2015/16 Home & Away Shirts, sponsored by Turkish Airlines
- The World Tour Continues! Martin Ødegaard visits Barça today, excited to meet his idol Messi [VG Sporten]
Johan Djourou almost ‘pulls a Woody’ 30 minutes into his Hannover debut
‘To pull a Woody‘ -verb.To get sent off on one’s debut. (ref: Jonathan Woodgate).
36 minutes into his Hannover debut against Schalke on Friday night, Johan Djourou came this close to emulating Jonathan Woodgate’s Real Madrid debut, in which he was infamously sent off.
In a footrace with Jefferson Farfan, who had a clear start, Djourou chased down a loose ball with a searing pace he showed all too infrequently at Arsenal.
Farfan won, got a touch on the ball, and Djourou ended up recklessly (though not dangerously) sliding to ground in a last-ditch attempt to get something on it.
The Veltins Arena erupted, and bayed out for the still-contracted Arsenal defender to be shown the debut red.
The ref showed clemency, however, and though the yellow was the correct decision, you can tell by Djourou’s initial reaction that he feared the worst.
- Updated: January 19, 2013