- Quality fan footage vine of Christian Eriksen’s free-kick v Sheffield United
- Chelsea appear to have a clear advantage with the fixture list in the build-up to the Capital One Cup final
- Andrea Pirlo’s quality skills v Parma for Juventus in the Coppa Italia [GIF]
- USA coach Jurgen Klinsmann backheels TWO balls at the same time! [GIF]
- Diego Simeone says Barcelona’s Leo Messi is better than Ronaldo, Bale & Benzema combined
Johan Djourou almost ‘pulls a Woody’ 30 minutes into his Hannover debut
‘To pull a Woody‘ -verb.To get sent off on one’s debut. (ref: Jonathan Woodgate).
36 minutes into his Hannover debut against Schalke on Friday night, Johan Djourou came this close to emulating Jonathan Woodgate’s Real Madrid debut, in which he was infamously sent off.
In a footrace with Jefferson Farfan, who had a clear start, Djourou chased down a loose ball with a searing pace he showed all too infrequently at Arsenal.
Farfan won, got a touch on the ball, and Djourou ended up recklessly (though not dangerously) sliding to ground in a last-ditch attempt to get something on it.
The Veltins Arena erupted, and bayed out for the still-contracted Arsenal defender to be shown the debut red.
The ref showed clemency, however, and though the yellow was the correct decision, you can tell by Djourou’s initial reaction that he feared the worst.
[jwplayer config="For-all-videos" mediaid="287155"]
- Updated: January 19, 2013