Johan Djourou almost ‘pulls a Woody’ 30 minutes into his Hannover debut
- January 19, 2013
‘To pull a Woody‘ -verb.To get sent off on one’s debut. (ref: Jonathan Woodgate).
36 minutes into his Hannover debut against Schalke on Friday night, Johan Djourou came this close to emulating Jonathan Woodgate’s Real Madrid debut, in which he was infamously sent off.
In a footrace with Jefferson Farfan, who had a clear start, Djourou chased down a loose ball with a searing pace he showed all too infrequently at Arsenal.
Farfan won, got a touch on the ball, and Djourou ended up recklessly (though not dangerously) sliding to ground in a last-ditch attempt to get something on it.
The Veltins Arena erupted, and bayed out for the still-contracted Arsenal defender to be shown the debut red.
The ref showed clemency, however, and though the yellow was the correct decision, you can tell by Djourou’s initial reaction that he feared the worst.
[jwplayer config=”For-all-videos” mediaid=”287155″]
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...