Johan Djourou almost ‘pulls a Woody’ 30 minutes into his Hannover debut
- January 19, 2013
‘To pull a Woody‘ -verb.To get sent off on one’s debut. (ref: Jonathan Woodgate).
36 minutes into his Hannover debut against Schalke on Friday night, Johan Djourou came this close to emulating Jonathan Woodgate’s Real Madrid debut, in which he was infamously sent off.
In a footrace with Jefferson Farfan, who had a clear start, Djourou chased down a loose ball with a searing pace he showed all too infrequently at Arsenal.
Farfan won, got a touch on the ball, and Djourou ended up recklessly (though not dangerously) sliding to ground in a last-ditch attempt to get something on it.
The Veltins Arena erupted, and bayed out for the still-contracted Arsenal defender to be shown the debut red.
The ref showed clemency, however, and though the yellow was the correct decision, you can tell by Djourou’s initial reaction that he feared the worst.
[jwplayer config=”For-all-videos” mediaid=”287155″]
The 20 best goalkeepers in the world, according to 101 Great Goals
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...