Jan Vertonghen’s ankle injury not serious, Spurs defender will be fit for World Cup [Belgian reports]
Jan Vertonghen is undoubtedly becoming one of the scapegoats for Tottenham’s woeful season.
The Belgian defender was top class last season after moving from Ajax, but has been a disaster in 2013/2014.
Vertonghen has appeared to sulk when playing left back, failed to truly perform when in the centre of defence, struggled with an ankle injury and hinted at leaving Spurs at the end of the season if they fail to secure Champions League football.
Sunday at Anfield was the nadir for Tottenham and Jan Vertonghen so far, with the Belgian looking disinterested in the tunnel before the match and then departing proceedings with another ankle injury on 24 minutes with his side with their backs against the wall.
Intriguingly, backing up many of the rumours, Tim Sherwood said after the game that Vertonghen had a knee injury and will be assessed this week.
In Belgium meanwhile, reports today, via sites such as Voetbalkrant.com, say Vertonghen picked up an ankle injury but it is not thought to be serious.
The Tottenham defender left Anfield on crutches but an initial scan on Monday showed no serious damage.
Vertonghen will undoubtedly play for Spurs again this season and will be fit for the World Cup in Brazil.
It is though suggested that Vertonghen may not be ready to face Sunderland at White Hart Lane next Monday.
Watch Live Stream
- Spurs players celebrate CSKA win on InstagramSeptember 28, 2016
- Kane & Vertonghen celebrate Spurs win over Crystal Palace on InstagramAugust 20, 2016
- Spurs on tour: Jan Vertonghen & Erik Lamela post holiday pics with teammatesJuly 9, 2016
- Jan Vertonghen major injury doubt for Belgium-Wales after twisting ankle [Sporza]June 30, 2016
- Ex-Spurs boss Tim Sherwood drops an ‘A*se-Bomb’ live on Sky Sports (Video)October 22, 2016
- Sir Alex Ferguson names Cristiano Ronaldo as the best player he’s coachedOctober 22, 2016
- Bournemouth v Tottenham: Premier League preview, line-ups & predictionsOctober 21, 2016
- Harry Kane returns to Spurs training, updates on InstagramOctober 20, 2016