Jan Vertonghen’s ankle injury not serious, Spurs defender will be fit for World Cup [Belgian reports]
- April 1, 2014
Jan Vertonghen is undoubtedly becoming one of the scapegoats for Tottenham’s woeful season.
The Belgian defender was top class last season after moving from Ajax, but has been a disaster in 2013/2014.
Vertonghen has appeared to sulk when playing left back, failed to truly perform when in the centre of defence, struggled with an ankle injury and hinted at leaving Spurs at the end of the season if they fail to secure Champions League football.
Sunday at Anfield was the nadir for Tottenham and Jan Vertonghen so far, with the Belgian looking disinterested in the tunnel before the match and then departing proceedings with another ankle injury on 24 minutes with his side with their backs against the wall.
Intriguingly, backing up many of the rumours, Tim Sherwood said after the game that Vertonghen had a knee injury and will be assessed this week.
In Belgium meanwhile, reports today, via sites such as Voetbalkrant.com, say Vertonghen picked up an ankle injury but it is not thought to be serious.
The Tottenham defender left Anfield on crutches but an initial scan on Monday showed no serious damage.
Vertonghen will undoubtedly play for Spurs again this season and will be fit for the World Cup in Brazil.
It is though suggested that Vertonghen may not be ready to face Sunderland at White Hart Lane next Monday.
- Harry Kane & Jan Vertonghen score glorious golazos in Spurs training (Video)
- Skills: Spurs defender Jan Vertonghen spins away from two AC Milan players (Video)
- Tottenham’s Belgian players try to act in silly promo for France friendly [Video]
- Spurs defender Jan Vertonghen photobombs Chelsea’s Eden Hazard
- Chelsea’s Nemanja Matic got sent off for retaliation. Spurs’ Jan Vertonghen...
- Spurs defender Jan Vertonghen nutmegs his friend, posts video on Instagram
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...