Jan Vertonghen explains his error for Chelsea’s opening goal v Spurs on Saturday
It was the moment where Tottenham predictably imploded at Stamford Bridge on Saturday and it came from the boot of their best defender.
Jan Vertonghen was excellent for Spurs last season but has not hit the heights at all in 2013/2014, looking disenchanted with playing left back and is a shell of the player that led Ajax with such aplomb.
Rumours and non denials from Vertonghen that he may leave White Hart Lane if Tottenham do not make the Champions League next season have only added to the anger some fans feel towards the Belgian.
Vertonghen has explained his mistake leading to Samuel Eto’o’s goal for Chelsea on Saturday: “I slipped away and thought Schurrle could take the ball. That’s why I tried to slide the ball to the goalkeeper. But accidentally, it seemed to be the perfect assist for Eto’o. It was the beginning of a hard night.”
On Tottenham’s Champions League hopes, Vertonghen said: “I’ll never say it’s over and out until it’s mathematically impossible, but it’s going to be hard.”
Whilst Vertonghen also spoke to the Belgian press about playing left back in another big game: “I was told on Friday. The coach decided to use this tactic, so I listened and did my best.”
Watch Live Stream
- Jan Vertonghen celebrates his 500th game with an heart-warming Instagram postNovember 17, 2016
- Tottenham’s Jan Vertonghen continues to joke about president-elect Donald TrumpNovember 10, 2016
- Tottenham’s Jan Vertonghen calls the US election ’embarrassing’. Cue the trolls [Tweets]November 9, 2016
- Jan Vertonghen names his Spurs MOTM v Arsenal on Instagram StoriesNovember 7, 2016
- Steve McManaman slams Spurs for using Wembley as an excuse for Champions League failure (Video)December 8, 2016
- Christian Eriksen’s performance praised as Tottenham beat CSKA Moscow 3-1 [Tweets]December 7, 2016
- Dele Alli & Harry Kane turn things around for Tottenham v CSKA Moscow (Video)December 7, 2016
- Spurs turn it around v CSKA and look set to lift Wembley Curse [Tweets]December 7, 2016