- “Gareth Bale has given the green light to sign for Man United next summer” [Sunday Express]
- Real Madrid post YouTube video of Club World Cup celebrations
- Cristiano Ronaldo appeared to snub Michel Platini after the Club World Cup final
- Carlo Ancelotti equals Alex Ferguson & Pep Guardiola trophy haul after Real Madrid win the CWC
- Real Madrid 2 – San Lorenzo 0: Sergio Ramos & Gareth Bale win the Club World Cup [Highlights]
Jan Vertonghen confirms he is discussing new 5-year-deal with Spurs [Nieuwsblad]
Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen has been linked with a move away from White Hart Lane this summer, but now looks likely to being staying at the north London club.
Vertonghen returns for pre-season training with Spurs this week and has confirmed to Belgian radio, as confirmed here by Nieuwsblad, that he is in discussions over a new contract.
The Belgian defender is quoted as saying: “It goes without saying that I would like to stay at Tottenham. I have a four-year contract. I see that they have offered me immediately a new five-year contract, as a great sign of confidence.”
There are though injury fears for Vertonghen going into the new season, with the defender confirming: “I picked up a knock in the match against Argentina – an ankle injury. I want to treat it carefully, because last season I was suffering from one injury to another, I definitely want to avoid that. ”
It would be a major boost for Spurs if they could sign up Hugo Lloris and Jan Vertonghen to long term deals this summer.
Nevertheless, you suspect Mauricio Pochettino may still be keen to bring in another defender to play alongside Vertonghen in 2014/2015.
- Updated: July 27, 2014