Jamie Carragher’s Daily Mail Column: Frank Lampard is better than Paul Scholes
- September 14, 2013
Jamie Carragher’s written a homage to Frank Lampard for his longevity and honours in his Daily Mail column.
And though at first glance it sounds a big, and possibly controversial statement, to be fair to Carra he makes a good argument:
I have always said Steven Gerrard was born world class, whereas Frank became world class. That is not a slight. It should serve as an inspiration. He has had to contend with some knocks down the years but he kept bettering himself. His mental strength is one of his greatest assets.
Frank has a catalogue of golden moments and, for that reason, I have him behind Steven but ahead of Paul Scholes in my list of the Premier League’s top three English midfielders.
I know Barcelona’s Xavi described Scholes as the best midfielder of the last 20 years but Frank has influenced more big games — his goals clinched Chelsea’s first title in 2005, he has won them an FA Cup final and scored in a Champions League final.
He has also played more and scored more for England, and his tally of 166 Premier League goals — the highest by a midfielder — outstrips the 107 Scholes scored.
As noted above, Carra makes a strong enough case, but surely the comparison in the first place is bogus one? Lampard and Scholes are two very different types of midfields; the former a box-to-box, the latter an orchestrator of play.
Read Jamie Carragher’s Daily Mail article in full here.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...