Jack Wilshere dropped by Roy Hodgson for England v Montenegro, smoking puns abound
Two of the leading tabloids have revealed on Friday morning that Jack Wilshere has been dropped by England boss Roy Hodgson for the crucial World Cup qualifier against Montenegro at Wembley this evening.
Wilshere has started England’s last two games, but it is understood that Hodgson has not been impressed by the Arsenal midfielder in recent games as well as during England training this week.
This would cap a week where Wilshere has found himself on the back pages for a variety of reasons.
First, it was for being pictured smokinga cigarette, then Wilshere scored for Arsenal at West Brom before he became embroiled in a press-created Adnan Januzaj “controversy” over who should play for England.
All signs now point to Hodgson utilising a Frank Lampard-Steven Gerrard central midfield with James Milner on the right and Danny Welbeck deployed on the left. Daniel Sturridge and Wayne Rooney will start up front for England.
As a result, the Daily Star say “Roy smokes him out” and The Sun go with “Jack is looking fagged out.” Both back pages are below.
Watch Live Stream
- Big Sam names first England squad: Arsenal’s Jack Wilshere unsurprisingly cutAugust 28, 2016
- England boss Sam Allardyce pranks 5 kids at Wembley Stadium (Video)August 28, 2016
- Chelsea’s John Terry has bad news for England [Sunday Times]August 27, 2016
- Man United & Arsenal full internationals included in England U21 squadAugust 25, 2016
- Daniel Sturridge is like Jack Wilshere. They need to perform on the training pitch (Sky Video)August 28, 2016
- Jack Wilshere’s pre-season tweet makes for funny reading after Arsenal 3 – Liverpool 4August 15, 2016
- Arsenal announce squad for tour of Scandinavia; Jack Wilshere misses out through injuryAugust 4, 2016
- Arsene Wenger explains why Jack Wilshere didn’t play in 3-1 win against Chivas (Video)August 1, 2016