Jack Wilshere dropped by Roy Hodgson for England v Montenegro, smoking puns abound
Two of the leading tabloids have revealed on Friday morning that Jack Wilshere has been dropped by England boss Roy Hodgson for the crucial World Cup qualifier against Montenegro at Wembley this evening.
Wilshere has started England’s last two games, but it is understood that Hodgson has not been impressed by the Arsenal midfielder in recent games as well as during England training this week.
This would cap a week where Wilshere has found himself on the back pages for a variety of reasons.
First, it was for being pictured smokinga cigarette, then Wilshere scored for Arsenal at West Brom before he became embroiled in a press-created Adnan Januzaj “controversy” over who should play for England.
All signs now point to Hodgson utilising a Frank Lampard-Steven Gerrard central midfield with James Milner on the right and Danny Welbeck deployed on the left. Daniel Sturridge and Wayne Rooney will start up front for England.
As a result, the Daily Star say “Roy smokes him out” and The Sun go with “Jack is looking fagged out.” Both back pages are below.
- Spurs youngster Dele Alli pulled off 2 nutmegs during England win (videos)
- Roy Hodgson is pleased with the amount of options at England’s disposal (Video)
- England and Lithuania fans brawl in the stands during Euro 2016 Qualifier (Vine)
- Twitter catches Ross Barkley fever after another impressive England performance (Tweets)
- Wojciech Szczesny celebrates Arsenal win at Spurs on Instagram, tags Jack Wilshere
- Jack Wilshere is out for 3 months, Arsenal will face Zagreb without Aaron Ramsey &...
- Arsenal fans despair at reports that Jack Wilshere could be out until 2016 (Best Tweets)
- Alexis Sanchez should be back for Arsenal in 10 days, Jack Wilshere’s injury was ...