Jack Wilshere doesn’t think Adnan Januzaj should play for England
Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere leads many of the back pages this Wednesday morning after he was put up in front of the press at England HQ on Tuesday.
Wilshere was questioned about whether England should push to bring in Manchester United’s Adnan Januzaj – which was hinted at as a possibility by Roy Hodgson after his two-goal haul at Sunderland.
As is now commonly known, Januzaj is eligible to represent Belgium, Albania, Turkey, Serbia and Kosovo, who have yet to be recognised by Fifa and could be able to play for England in 2018.
Wilshere is not a big fan of the idea: “No, for me, if you are English, you are English, and you play for England. The only people who should play for England are English people.”
The England schemer added: “If you’ve lived in England for five years, for me, it doesn’t make you English. You shouldn’t play. It doesn’t mean you can play for that country. If I went to Spain and lived there for five years, I’m not going to play for Spain. For me an English player should play for England really.”
Wilshere was then asked whether England should have an English manager: “I think it’s better if there is an Englishman [in charge], but don’t get me wrong, Fabio Capello did a lot for my England career. He brought me here, gave me my debut and stuck with me form a young age, so he was a good manager as well.”
Watch Live Stream
- Golazo: Man United loanee Adnan Januzaj scores sublime winner for Sunderland (Video)August 24, 2016
- Sunderland new boy Adnan Januzaj admits his favourite goal was against Sunderland (Video)August 20, 2016
- Adnan Januzaj gives first interview since joining Sunderland from Man United (Video)August 15, 2016
- Sunderland fans have a brilliant song for Man United’s Adnan Januzaj (Video)August 14, 2016
- Michail Antonio thought West Ham’s physio was pranking him over his England call up (Video)August 30, 2016
- Twitter explodes as rumours circulate that Jordan Henderson will replace Wayne Rooney as England captainAugust 29, 2016
- Big Sam names first England squad: Arsenal’s Jack Wilshere unsurprisingly cutAugust 28, 2016
- England boss Sam Allardyce pranks 5 kids at Wembley Stadium (Video)August 28, 2016
- Updates on future Arsenal signings, Jack Wilshere & Serge Gnabry [David Ornstein, BBC]August 30, 2016
- Arsenal Fan TV on reports Jack Wilshere leaving the Gunners on loan (Video)August 30, 2016
- Juventus become bookies’ favourites to sign Jack Wilshere on loan [Tweets]August 30, 2016
- Jack Wilshere is allowed to leave Arsenal on loan after crunch talks with the club [Sky Sports]August 29, 2016