- Manchester City make Koke (Atletico Madrid) & Paul Pogba (Juve) summer transfer targets [MD]
- Chelsea leading Barça & Man United in race to sign Corinthians’ £20m-rated Malcolm Silva [Express]
- Real Madrid players want to face Chelsea in Champions League to shut Mourinho up [MARCA]
- Everton boss Roberto Martinez: ‘Papiss Cisse’s elbow was unacceptable, he went to hurt Coleman’ [Video]
- Newcastle No2 John Carver: ‘I was eating a pie when Alan Pardew asked me to do press conference’
Is it?! Toronto think their signing of Jermain Defoe is “a bloody big deal”
You can’t blame Toronto FC for trying but some of the marketing around Jermain Defoe’s move to the MLS has been a little OTT.
The video above is their advert announcing the arrival of the Tottenham striker, who will officially join Toronto on February 28, 2014.
Toronto built up the video above with the following message: “Love spit-takes? Then you’ll love this commercial. It’s A Bloody Big Deal! Jermain Defoe is now officially a part of Toronto FC.”
Surely most Londoners responded to the news with a shrug of their shoulders, rather than spitting out their tea?!
For an excellent evisceration of Defoe’s move to Toronto, see this Guardian piece by Daniel Taylor.
- Updated: January 14, 2014