- Harry Redknapp post-Arsenal: ‘It was a clear penalty from Gibbs on Bobby Zamora’ [Video]
- Sami Khedira is hoping to reach an agreement for a new contract at Real Madrid
- Arsenal fan lays into Olivier Giroud for ‘brainless’ sending off v QPR [Video]
- Neymar: I don’t know if I’ll ever be as good as Ronaldo or Messi [Globo]
- Arsene Wenger: ‘Alexis Sanchez has so much self-confidence that sometimes he’s too individual’ [Video]
Is Draxler going to Arsenal? Schalke’s Heldt says “we hope he stays, but there are factors we can’t influence” [Bild]
Fresh quotes printed by German tabloid Bild have injected fresh hope for Arsenal fans that Julian Draxler could swap Schalke for the Emirates Stadium this winter.
Schalke have been one of the busiest clubs in Germany in the winter transfer window, with Sidney Sam coming into the club from Bayer Leverkusen while reports are swelling over the likely arrival of Lewis Holtby back to his old stomping ground from Tottenham.
Many are now wondering whether Schalke’s recruitment policies are in preparation of a big departure from Gelsenkirchen this January, and in that regard no outgoing would be bigger than Julian Draxler leaving the Royal Blues.
Draxler, 20, has been repeatedly linked to Arsenal over the past few weeks, and now new quotes from Schalke’s general manager Horst Heldt have again suggested the starlet could be on his way out the club. Asked about Draxler’s future, Heldt commented: “We continue to hope that Julian remains. But there are factors that we can not influence.”
Draxler was recently given a tour of the Arsenal training ground and the Emirates by Arsene Wenger and is believed to be keen to link up with the likes of Ozil, Per Mertesacker, Lukas Podolski and Serge Gnabry.
After a stunning start to the season, the striker’s form has dropped off a bit but there is no doubt that the 20-year-old is one of the hottest prospects in Europe. If the Gunners do bring in Draxler they would be closing in on on the best collection of playmaker midfielders, anywhere on the continent.
Draxler can leave the Bundesliga side for 45 million euros at the end of the 2013/3014 season.
- Updated: January 14, 2014