Is Draxler going to Arsenal? Schalke’s Heldt says “we hope he stays, but there are factors we can’t influence” [Bild]
Fresh quotes printed by German tabloid Bild have injected fresh hope for Arsenal fans that Julian Draxler could swap Schalke for the Emirates Stadium this winter.
Schalke have been one of the busiest clubs in Germany in the winter transfer window, with Sidney Sam coming into the club from Bayer Leverkusen while reports are swelling over the likely arrival of Lewis Holtby back to his old stomping ground from Tottenham.
Many are now wondering whether Schalke’s recruitment policies are in preparation of a big departure from Gelsenkirchen this January, and in that regard no outgoing would be bigger than Julian Draxler leaving the Royal Blues.
Draxler, 20, has been repeatedly linked to Arsenal over the past few weeks, and now new quotes from Schalke’s general manager Horst Heldt have again suggested the starlet could be on his way out the club. Asked about Draxler’s future, Heldt commented: “We continue to hope that Julian remains. But there are factors that we can not influence.”
Draxler was recently given a tour of the Arsenal training ground and the Emirates by Arsene Wenger and is believed to be keen to link up with the likes of Ozil, Per Mertesacker, Lukas Podolski and Serge Gnabry.
After a stunning start to the season, the striker’s form has dropped off a bit but there is no doubt that the 20-year-old is one of the hottest prospects in Europe. If the Gunners do bring in Draxler they would be closing in on on the best collection of playmaker midfielders, anywhere on the continent.
Draxler can leave the Bundesliga side for 45 million euros at the end of the 2013/3014 season.
Watch Live Stream
- Arsene Wenger was in a cheeky mood ahead of Basel v Arsenal (video)December 6, 2016
- Revealed: Liverpool’s Roberto Firmino has an anti-Arsenal clause in his contractDecember 6, 2016
- Basel v Arsenal: Champions League preview, line-ups & predictionsDecember 6, 2016
- Pep Guardiola calls a journalist a ‘liar’ for fake news story regarding Alexis SanchezDecember 5, 2016
- Liverpool & Chelsea both chasing left-back Sead Kolasinac on a free transfer [BILD]November 1, 2016
- Borussia Dortmund v Schalke: Watch a live stream of the RevierderbyOctober 28, 2016
- Spurs are selling Nabil Bentaleb [Liberte Algerie]October 26, 2016
- Schalke players & fans show support to injured Breel Embolo (Video)October 24, 2016