Injury Crisis: Arsenal’s Ox out for up to 6 months with knee problems [Mail & Mirror]
Arsenal’s fans shitty weekend continues on Monday after news that star midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is now a long term injury casualty for Arsene Wenger.
The Daily Mail and the Mirror both report on the Arsenal player’s fitness setback, with the red top outlining the worst case scenario in which Oxlade-Chamberlain could miss six months of football.
According to the Mirror:
Sunday tests confirmed damage to the left knee of the 20-year-old England midfielder, who went off injured in the Gunners’ shock season-opening home loss to Aston Villa. He will have a further scan on Monday, when his worst fears could be confirmed.
It leaves Arsenal desperately short of players ahead of their Champions League qualifier at Fenerbahce on Wednesday. Bacary Sagna is also almost certainly out, while Aaron Ramsey and Tomas Rocisky are doubts. Thomas Vermaelen, Mikel Arteta and Nacho Monreal are already missing from the trip to Istanbul for the first leg of a tie to decide who will advance to the Champions League’s group stage.
Arsenal’s full senior squad is now down to just 12 first team players, including two goalkeepers, as follows: Giroud, Podolski, Walcott, Rosicky, Wilshere, Cazorla , Ramsey, Koscielny (banned for next Saturday’s Premier League game v Fulham), Gibbs, Mertesacker, Fabianski and Szczesny.
Down to their bare bones, the news of The Ox’s injury will likely make Arsenal fans even more upset that their club has failed to bring in new recruits over the summer.
Despite being linked with a raft of top-class footballers, young French striker Yaya Sanogo remains Wenger’s sole signing this transfer window, and Sanogo is also currently injured.
The backpage of the Mirror on Monday is below, together with video from Sky Sports Soccer Saturday discussing Arsenal’s lack of signings.
Watch Live Stream
- Arsene Wenger reveals fresh injury to Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, rules him out of Euro 2016 (Video)May 6th, 2016
- Man United want to sign Arsenal’s Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain [ESPN]April 25th, 2016
- Arsenal attacker Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain picks his dream team (Video)April 20th, 2016
- Southampton make Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain their top summer target [Mirror]April 12th, 2016
- Arsenal’s Hector Bellerin offers revealing comments when asked about Barcelona interest [Cope]May 27th, 2016
- Arsenal officially reveal new shirt numbers for Granit Xhaka & Aaron Ramsey (Videos)May 27th, 2016
- Tottenham star Christian Eriksen admits finishing below Arsenal was “infuriating” [BT]May 27th, 2016
- Arsenal star Mesut Ozil is ‘seriously considering’ offers from Bayern & Barcelon...May 27th, 2016