Injury Crisis: Arsenal’s Ox out for up to 6 months with knee problems [Mail & Mirror]
Arsenal’s fans shitty weekend continues on Monday after news that star midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is now a long term injury casualty for Arsene Wenger.
The Daily Mail and the Mirror both report on the Arsenal player’s fitness setback, with the red top outlining the worst case scenario in which Oxlade-Chamberlain could miss six months of football.
According to the Mirror:
Sunday tests confirmed damage to the left knee of the 20-year-old England midfielder, who went off injured in the Gunners’ shock season-opening home loss to Aston Villa. He will have a further scan on Monday, when his worst fears could be confirmed.
It leaves Arsenal desperately short of players ahead of their Champions League qualifier at Fenerbahce on Wednesday. Bacary Sagna is also almost certainly out, while Aaron Ramsey and Tomas Rocisky are doubts. Thomas Vermaelen, Mikel Arteta and Nacho Monreal are already missing from the trip to Istanbul for the first leg of a tie to decide who will advance to the Champions League’s group stage.
Arsenal’s full senior squad is now down to just 12 first team players, including two goalkeepers, as follows: Giroud, Podolski, Walcott, Rosicky, Wilshere, Cazorla , Ramsey, Koscielny (banned for next Saturday’s Premier League game v Fulham), Gibbs, Mertesacker, Fabianski and Szczesny.
Down to their bare bones, the news of The Ox’s injury will likely make Arsenal fans even more upset that their club has failed to bring in new recruits over the summer.
Despite being linked with a raft of top-class footballers, young French striker Yaya Sanogo remains Wenger’s sole signing this transfer window, and Sanogo is also currently injured.
The backpage of the Mirror on Monday is below, together with video from Sky Sports Soccer Saturday discussing Arsenal’s lack of signings.
Watch Live Stream
- Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s brilliant solo goal for Arsenal v Chivas in slow motion (Video)August 2, 2016
- Arsenal’s Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain scores incredible solo golazo v Chivas (Video)August 1, 2016
- Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain puts Calum Chambers on the spot at funny Arsenal fan party (Video)July 28, 2016
- Golazo: Arsenal’s Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain scores deft chip v Lens (Videos)July 22, 2016
- Lucas Perez passes Arsenal medical, deal to be done this weekend [Mirror]August 26, 2016
- Shkodran Mustafi will be a big upgrade on Per Mertesacker at Arsenal (Video)August 26, 2016
- Arsene Wenger insists he is a big spender….in real life (Video)August 26, 2016
- Arsenal’s Rob Holding doesn’t know what an Oyster Card is (Video)August 26, 2016