- Harry Redknapp post-Arsenal: ‘It was a clear penalty from Gibbs on Bobby Zamora’ [Video]
- Sami Khedira is hoping to reach an agreement for a new contract at Real Madrid
- Arsenal fan lays into Olivier Giroud for ‘brainless’ sending off v QPR [Video]
- Neymar: I don’t know if I’ll ever be as good as Ronaldo or Messi [Globo]
- Arsene Wenger: ‘Alexis Sanchez has so much self-confidence that sometimes he’s too individual’ [Video]
Initial reports: Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil only suffered a bruised knee v Sweden [Bild]
There were gasps throughout the red side of north London and from Gooners across the globe when news filtered through that Mesut Ozil (on his 25th birthday) had gone off injured towards the end of Germany’s 5-3 win over Sweden.
Arsenal’s record signing had played a key part in Germany’s comeback from 2-0 down, scoring their opener and then setting up the second for Mario Gotze.
However, with eight minutes remaining, the Arsenal playmaker lowered himself to the ground and then gingerly walked off the pitch straight down the tunnel and into the changing room for treatment.
Many Arsenal fans began fearing for the worst – with another international fixture potentially damaging their hopes of silverware this season.
However, initial reports from Germany, including the respected Bild newspaper, suggest Ozil has simply suffered a bruised right knee.
With Santi Cazorla returning for the match with Norwich on Saturday, Arsene Wenger has plenty of options but will want Ozil back for the visit of Borussia Dortmund next Tuesday.
Mesut Ozil’s goal v Sweden is on the video below.
- Updated: October 15, 2013