Individual lowlights: Lionel Messi’s rubbish performance v AC Milan
- February 21, 2013
Perhaps the AC Milan banner, praying Lionel Messi doesn’t score, simply worked.
There have also been suggestions in recent weeks that Messi (along with his Barcelona team mates) is looking a smidgeon tired but as the Argentine continued to bang in the goals no one noticed.
On Tuesday night, Lionel Messi produced one of his worst ever performances in a Barcelona shirt, just days after notching his 301st goal for the club.
It has to be said that the incredibly high expectations, brought about b being the world’s best player, means an off night like in the San Siro will be scrutinised to the nth degree.
With just two attempts on target, only one of which was on target, it is difficult to think of Lionel Messi having a more insignificant game than he did against AC Milan.
Much of the credit for stifling Messi must go to Massimo Allegri and the Rossoneri’s tactics that shut down the opposition at every opportunity and simply did not allow them to play in the final third.
Messi was often left isolated and despite appearing in a variety of places on the field (false nine, dropping deep, left wing and right wing), he was almost anonymous.
The showreel of arguably Lionel Messi’s worst ever performance for Barcelona is below.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...