Individual Highlights: Raphael Varane’s amazing display for Real Madrid v Barcelona
- January 31, 2013
How brilliant was Raphael Varane in the Real Madrid defence against Barcelona on Wednesday night?!
Zinedine Zidane’s one and only signing for Real Madrid produced an epic performance, on the same pitch as the world’s greatest players and this was even before he headed home the equaliser against Barcelona.
Did anyone mention that Varane is just 19 years old?! Had Pepe or Sergio Ramos been available he probably wouldn’t have played where he backed up Ricardo Carvalho who in truth, was virtually a liability for Real Madrid.
Marca hail Varane’s performance describing it as one that “confirmed him as a world class player, as the child of Zidane became an adult. He stopped Barca on his own.”
And, it isn’t just the Spanish press hailing the French centre back. L’Equipe predictably celebrated Varane’s performance. And Gazzetta dello Sport headline El Clasico as “Varane saves Mourinho.”
And if you look at the video below, including the key moments of Raphael Varane’s performance all of the praise is no exaggeration.
There was a brilliant goal line clearance from Xavi in the first half, an epic second half challenge on Cesc Fabregas and then the goal which capped off a memorable performance. Individual highlights below.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi