- Jose Mourinho’s prophecy about Ander Herrera’s dive ultimately came true [Video]
- PSV confirm they’ve had a telephone call from Man United about Memphis Depay
- Shay Given credits Tim Sherwood after FA Cup semi-final win over Liverpool [Video]
- Pellegrini glad to see his Manchester City side bounce back with win over West Ham [Video]
- Jamie Carragher takes dig at Raheem Sterling on Twitter & berates Liverpool’s recruitment policy
Individual Highlights: Raphael Varane’s amazing display for Real Madrid v Barcelona
- January 31, 2013
How brilliant was Raphael Varane in the Real Madrid defence against Barcelona on Wednesday night?!
Zinedine Zidane’s one and only signing for Real Madrid produced an epic performance, on the same pitch as the world’s greatest players and this was even before he headed home the equaliser against Barcelona.
Did anyone mention that Varane is just 19 years old?! Had Pepe or Sergio Ramos been available he probably wouldn’t have played where he backed up Ricardo Carvalho who in truth, was virtually a liability for Real Madrid.
Marca hail Varane’s performance describing it as one that “confirmed him as a world class player, as the child of Zidane became an adult. He stopped Barca on his own.”
And, it isn’t just the Spanish press hailing the French centre back. L’Equipe predictably celebrated Varane’s performance. And Gazzetta dello Sport headline El Clasico as “Varane saves Mourinho.”
And if you look at the video below, including the key moments of Raphael Varane’s performance all of the praise is no exaggeration.
There was a brilliant goal line clearance from Xavi in the first half, an epic second half challenge on Cesc Fabregas and then the goal which capped off a memorable performance. Individual highlights below.