Individual Highlights: Nathan Ake impresses on 1st Chelsea start at Middlesbrough
- February 28, 2013
Chelsea’s 2-0 FA cup win at Middlesbrough on Wednesday evening will likely be remembered for Rafa Benitez’s rant post-match but it was significant for a Blues youngster.
Nathan Ake, a Dutch 20-year-old defender, was thrust into midfield by Chelsea interim manager Rafa Benitez and did not put a foot wrong in a fine first start for the first team.
Ake, signed from Feyenoord in 2010 and a Ruud Gullit look-a-like, was calm throughout the FA Cup tie and supported Ramires well in central midfield.
Having come on for a few minutes at Norwich as a substitute, this looks like being Nathan Ake’s break out season after impressing for some of Chelsea’s youth sides.
If Rafa Benitez does leave Stamford Bridge in the coming days, giving Nathan Ake a chance at first team level, may be one of his lasting legacies at Chelsea.
Individual highlights of Nathan Ake’s performance v Middlesbrough are on the video below, followed by a post match interview.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi