- A shirtless Thierry Henry reacts to New York Red Bulls 1 – New England Revolution 2 [Video]
- Still Got It! 41 year old Cuauhtemoc Blanco scores free-kick for Puebla v Santos Laguna
- (Chelsea’s) Fernando Torres has disappointing 73 minutes in AC Milan 1 – Inter 1 [Individual Highlights]
- AC Milan 1 – Inter Milan 1 [Video Highlights]
- ‘Oh No You Don’t!’ Xavi forced Messi back out onto pitch to receive guard of honour [GIF]
How did they pull this off?! Greenpeace halt Basel v Schalke with massive anti-Gazprom banner
“With this action, the defenders of the Arctic showed the red card to the Russian sponsors of the Champions League and German club, and to their oil-drilling and dirty tricks in the Artic. With it’s oil drilling projects, Gazprom is putting the fragile Arctic ecosystem on the line,” said Nadine Berthel of Greenpeace’s Arctic campaign. Gazprom has no experience on the high seas and is playing Russian roulette with the Arctic. The question is not if, but when, Gazprom will make history with a full-scale oil disaster in the Arctic.” – Greenpeace statement.
Swiss side Basel saw their Champions League hopes dealt a heavy blow by Julian Draxler’s excellent winner for Schalke on Tuesday night.
Besides the result, which was a boost for Chelsea who lost to Basel in Gameweek 1, there was plenty other excitement around the encounter.
Just after kick off, two abseilers came down from the roof with an absolutely massive banner against Champions League and Schalke sponsors Gazprom.
The Greenpeace abseilers banner said: “Don’t Foul The Arctic,”in a warning to Gazprom against their offshore oil drilling in the Arctic.
Whilst the hashtag: #FreeTheArctic30 was in reference to 30 activists recently detained by Russian authorities aboard a ship in the Arctic after two of them tried to scale a Gazprom oil platform.
Play was halted for four minutes in the first half and Basel could face UEFA disciplinary action for the security breach. Fan Footage is below.
- Updated: October 2, 2013