Holland fans cheer up Arjen Robben with ovation during Bulgaria friendly
- May 27, 2012
“I want to thank the Dutch supporters [for a standing ovation]. It’s fantastic to receive so much support. I never had a week like this; it was very hard but that’s the life of a professional athlete. Sometimes everyone thinks you’re a p***k and sometimes you’re a hero. Last week, I was a p***k. But I will be there on June 9 [for Netherlands’ Euro 2012 opener with Denmark], I can assure you.” – Arjen Robben.
It hasn’t been an easy week for Arjen Robben.
It was only eight days ago that the flying winger missed that crucial penalty in extra-time of the Champions League final against Chelsea and just days later Robben was booed by a selection of Bayern Munich’s support as he appeared in a friendly at the Allianz Arena.
So it came as some relief when the Dutch support gave Robben an absolutely massive cheer as he came on as a late substitute in Holland’s eventual defeat to Bulgaria in a friendly on Saturday night.
You suspect, despite his high profile penalty misses of late, Holland may well benefit from propping up Arjen Robben at his time of need in the upcoming European Championships.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...