- Robinho pulls off awesome skill in charity match [video]
- Man United move for “transfer listed” Nemanja Vidic [Star Sunday]
- John Terry (34) to get a new £175k-a-week one year Chelsea deal [Star & Express]
- Arsenal set for 20m William Carvalho bid [Mail on Sunday]
- West Ham may lose Big Sam after the season & Irons may sell 20% to pay off debt [Telegraph]
Holland fans cheer up Arjen Robben with ovation during Bulgaria friendly
“I want to thank the Dutch supporters [for a standing ovation]. It’s fantastic to receive so much support. I never had a week like this; it was very hard but that’s the life of a professional athlete. Sometimes everyone thinks you’re a p***k and sometimes you’re a hero. Last week, I was a p***k. But I will be there on June 9 [for Netherlands' Euro 2012 opener with Denmark], I can assure you.” – Arjen Robben.
It hasn’t been an easy week for Arjen Robben.
It was only eight days ago that the flying winger missed that crucial penalty in extra-time of the Champions League final against Chelsea and just days later Robben was booed by a selection of Bayern Munich’s support as he appeared in a friendly at the Allianz Arena.
So it came as some relief when the Dutch support gave Robben an absolutely massive cheer as he came on as a late substitute in Holland’s eventual defeat to Bulgaria in a friendly on Saturday night.
You suspect, despite his high profile penalty misses of late, Holland may well benefit from propping up Arjen Robben at his time of need in the upcoming European Championships.
- Updated: May 27, 2012