- 10Bet Exclusive Bonus: 50% Up To £200 Free!
- Bet365 Exclusive Bonus: 100% Up To £200 Free!
- NetBet Exclusive Bonus: 100% Up To £100 Free!
- Bet365 Live streaming - Watch Live Sports
- BoyleSports Exclusive Bonus: 100% Up To £50 Free!
- Ladbrokes Exclusive Bonus: 100% Up To £50 Free!
- Betfred Exclusive Bonus: 100% up to £25!
- Winner Sports Exclusive Bonus: 100% Up To £200 Free!
- 18Bet Exclusive Bonus: 150% Up To £30 Free!
- Betway Exclusive Bonus: 100% Up To £50 Free!
- Vernons Sports Exclusive Bonus: 100% up to £25 Free!
Hodgson gets Twitter support after tabloids claim England manager compared Tottenham’s Townsend to a monkey at NASA
- Updated: October 17, 2013
24 hours after Roy Hogdson successfully navigated England to the World Cup finals in Brazil, the England manager has found himself at the centre of a new race row involving the Three Lions newest starlet, Andros Townsend.
Headlines on the backpage of the Mirror (Ollie Holt) and the front page of the Sun (Gordon Smart) report that the England manager revved up his team at halftime against Poland by telling an unfunny joke in which Tottenham’s attacking midfielder Andros Townsend was compared to a NASA monkey.
The full description of the monkey joke can be read here.
Interestingly, much of the public response to Thursday tabloids has been fury at the papers for insinuating that Roy Hodgson could be labelled a racist.
Below are a series of Tweets supporting Roy Hodgson in the wake of claims that he racially abused Tottenham’s Andros Townsend.
Totally understand why some people annoyed about Hodgson story. Think our treatment of it reflects that feeling, too.
— Oliver Holt (@OllieHolt22) October 16, 2013
Absolutely pathetic journalism, and Ollie Holt deserves all of the (non-abusive) criticism that he gets on this one.
— Chris Miller (@WindyCOYS) October 17, 2013
If Hodgson's joke reported accurately, I'd suggest it says more about those seeking to attach racial undertones than it does about him.
— Rupert Fryer (@Rupert_Fryer) October 16, 2013
Really struggling to see how that 'joke' can be interpreted as racist. Crap? Yes. Racist? No.
— Mike Keegan (@mikekeeganmen) October 17, 2013
This Roy Hodgson "monkey" joke stuff is ludicrous. Nothing remotely racist to it. Hasn't taken media long to start to ruin our WC campaign
— Carl Bridgewood (@bobbyspout) October 17, 2013
This Roy Hodgson 'racist' non story really sums up everything which is wrong with our country and tabloid press.
— Guy Tipping (@guytipping) October 17, 2013