Hodgson gets Twitter support after tabloids claim England manager compared Tottenham’s Townsend to a monkey at NASA
- October 17, 2013
24 hours after Roy Hogdson successfully navigated England to the World Cup finals in Brazil, the England manager has found himself at the centre of a new race row involving the Three Lions newest starlet, Andros Townsend.
Headlines on the backpage of the Mirror (Ollie Holt) and the front page of the Sun (Gordon Smart) report that the England manager revved up his team at halftime against Poland by telling an unfunny joke in which Tottenham’s attacking midfielder Andros Townsend was compared to a NASA monkey.
The full description of the monkey joke can be read here.
Interestingly, much of the public response to Thursday tabloids has been fury at the papers for insinuating that Roy Hodgson could be labelled a racist.
Below are a series of Tweets supporting Roy Hodgson in the wake of claims that he racially abused Tottenham’s Andros Townsend.
Totally understand why some people annoyed about Hodgson story. Think our treatment of it reflects that feeling, too.
— Oliver Holt (@OllieHolt22) October 16, 2013
Absolutely pathetic journalism, and Ollie Holt deserves all of the (non-abusive) criticism that he gets on this one.
— Chris Miller (@WindyCOYS) October 17, 2013
If Hodgson's joke reported accurately, I'd suggest it says more about those seeking to attach racial undertones than it does about him.
— Rupert Fryer (@Rupert_Fryer) October 16, 2013
Really struggling to see how that 'joke' can be interpreted as racist. Crap? Yes. Racist? No.
— Mike Keegan (@mikekeeganmen) October 17, 2013
This Roy Hodgson "monkey" joke stuff is ludicrous. Nothing remotely racist to it. Hasn't taken media long to start to ruin our WC campaign
— Carl Bridgewood (@bobbyspout) October 17, 2013
This Roy Hodgson 'racist' non story really sums up everything which is wrong with our country and tabloid press.
— Guy Tipping (@guytipping) October 17, 2013
- Spurs winger Andros Townsend shows off his shooting accuracy in target practice drill (...
- Tim Sherwood says Villa are still looking for signings, hints at two Tottenham players ...
- Andy & Andros Townsend get destroyed on Twitter during first half of Slovenia v En...
- Andros Townsend reveals himself as a Pokemon fan in Teammates Quiz with Ryan Mason [Video]
- Roberto Soldado teaches his Spurs teammate Andros Townsend how to dive [Instagram Video]
- Andros Townsend and Nacer Chadli answer questions in a Google+ hangout [Video]
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...