- ‘Why not?’ Nani open to Manchester United return after Sporting loan [Video]
- Newcastle boss Alan Pardew pre-QPR: ‘Our young players deserve credit’ [Video]
- Man Utd boss Van Gaal: ‘I’m glad to see Danny Welbeck doing as well as I expected at Arsenal’ [Video]
- Luis Suarez: ‘Liverpool is part of Steven Gerrard, I know he would never want to leave’
- Manchester United boss Louis Van Gaal: ‘Daley Blind won’t be out for 6 months’ [Video]
His five minute debut: Shinji Kagawa (Manchester United) v AmaZulu
“[Shinji Kagawa] must have been standing on the touchline for 10 minutes. The ball never seemed to go out when we wanted it to. But I think he’ll probably start on Saturday [against Ajax Cape Town].” – Sir Alex Ferguson.
He was only on the pitch for a little under five minutes, yet Shinji Kagawa’s debut for Manchester United was one of the major talking points after the Red Devil’s 1-nil win over AmaZulu on Wednesday night.
Kagawa’s replaced Javier Hernandez in the dying seconds of United’s pre-season curtain raiser in Durban, after Federico Macheda’s first-half goal had put the Red Devils in the ascendancy.
Kagawa’s first touch was his most significant.
Seconds after his introduction, the £17 million signing showed a glimpse of his passing ability as he threaded a lovely ball to free Berbatov down the left hand side. Unfortunately, on that occasion the Bulgarian was flagged for a marginal offside call.
Watch Shinji Kagawa’s showreel from his debut below.
Related link: Shinji Kagawa gives an interview to MUTV.
- Updated: July 19, 2012