Hijack! Chelsea move in for Willian just as Brazilian looked set to sign for Spurs
- August 22, 2013
Willian has had the media guessing for around a week now and it looks like the final twist could have taken place in injury-time!
After being heavily linked with Liverpool, Spurs were thought to be close to signing Willian with reports on Thursday that a deal was imminent.
So much so that suggestions from Italy had confirmed that a 35 million euro deal was agreed with Willian agreeing a six-year deal after completing his Tottenham medical.
Unexpectedly, Sky Sports reports early on Thursday evening that Chelsea had moved in for Willian and agreed a fee with Russian side Anzhi just as Tottenham seemed close to sealing the move.
In-the-know Sky Italia reporter Gianluca Di Marzio also announced that Chelsea had moved in, agreeing a fee of 37 million euros. (See Tweet below.)
Lots of theories are doing the rounds just as the news was announced.
This could well be the work of Willian’s agent, Kia Joorabchian (see red arrows in picture above), attempting to gain a little more cash out of Spurs.
Do Chelsea need Willian? Well, they have a lot of players who play in a similar position (e.g. Eden Hazard, Juan Mata, Oscar, Kevin De Bruyne, Victor Moses) so…
Does this mean they are offering Juan Mata for Wayne Rooney again?
- “Dream come true” – New signing Papy Djilobodji celebrates move to Ch...
- Chelsea sign Michael Hector from Reading on five-year deal, loan him back immediately
- Chelsea fail with two bids for PSG defender Marquinhos [Best Tweets]
- Papy Djilobodji comments after completing move to Chelsea [Official]
- Heathrow Airport trolls Arsenal & Chelsea [Tweet]
- Chelsea closing in on the signing of Reading centre back Michael Hector [Sky Sports]
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...