Hijack! Chelsea move in for Willian just as Brazilian looked set to sign for Spurs
Willian has had the media guessing for around a week now and it looks like the final twist could have taken place in injury-time!
After being heavily linked with Liverpool, Spurs were thought to be close to signing Willian with reports on Thursday that a deal was imminent.
So much so that suggestions from Italy had confirmed that a 35 million euro deal was agreed with Willian agreeing a six-year deal after completing his Tottenham medical.
Unexpectedly, Sky Sports reports early on Thursday evening that Chelsea had moved in for Willian and agreed a fee with Russian side Anzhi just as Tottenham seemed close to sealing the move.
In-the-know Sky Italia reporter Gianluca Di Marzio also announced that Chelsea had moved in, agreeing a fee of 37 million euros. (See Tweet below.)
Lots of theories are doing the rounds just as the news was announced.
This could well be the work of Willian’s agent, Kia Joorabchian (see red arrows in picture above), attempting to gain a little more cash out of Spurs.
Do Chelsea need Willian? Well, they have a lot of players who play in a similar position (e.g. Eden Hazard, Juan Mata, Oscar, Kevin De Bruyne, Victor Moses) so…
Does this mean they are offering Juan Mata for Wayne Rooney again?
- Arsenal fan uses the win over Man United to send a message to Jose Mourinho (Video)
- Jose Mourinho given ‘Stay of Execution’ by Chelsea board after Southampton ...
- Chelsea captain John Terry publicly backs under-fire boss Jose Mourinho
- Chelsea fan says Jose Mourinho is no longer “special” after Southampton def...
- Out for the Arsenal game, Willian works on his Chelsea comeback in the swimming pool (I...
- Chelsea set to be without Willian & Pedro for this weekend’s match v Arsenal
- Willian’s agent has offered the Chelsea midfielder to Bayern Munich [TZ]
- Chelsea fans celebrate pinching Pedro from Man United after hijacking Willian from WHL ...