Hijack! Chelsea move in for Willian just as Brazilian looked set to sign for Spurs
Willian has had the media guessing for around a week now and it looks like the final twist could have taken place in injury-time!
After being heavily linked with Liverpool, Spurs were thought to be close to signing Willian with reports on Thursday that a deal was imminent.
So much so that suggestions from Italy had confirmed that a 35 million euro deal was agreed with Willian agreeing a six-year deal after completing his Tottenham medical.
Unexpectedly, Sky Sports reports early on Thursday evening that Chelsea had moved in for Willian and agreed a fee with Russian side Anzhi just as Tottenham seemed close to sealing the move.
In-the-know Sky Italia reporter Gianluca Di Marzio also announced that Chelsea had moved in, agreeing a fee of 37 million euros. (See Tweet below.)
Lots of theories are doing the rounds just as the news was announced.
This could well be the work of Willian’s agent, Kia Joorabchian (see red arrows in picture above), attempting to gain a little more cash out of Spurs.
Do Chelsea need Willian? Well, they have a lot of players who play in a similar position (e.g. Eden Hazard, Juan Mata, Oscar, Kevin De Bruyne, Victor Moses) so…
Does this mean they are offering Juan Mata for Wayne Rooney again?
Watch Live Stream
- Arsenal v Chelsea analysis: Gary Cahill’s head has gone, but Branislav Ivanovic is worse (Sky Video)September 25, 2016
- Chelsea fan cries on BBC radio after the Arsenal defeat (Audio)September 25, 2016
- Alex Iwobi not sure how he won MOTM award after Arsenal 3 – Chelsea 0September 25, 2016
- Antonio Conte is the wrong manager for Chelsea (BBC Audio)September 25, 2016
- Ex-Spurs starlet Souleymane Coulibaly scores wonder goal for Kilmarnock (Official video)September 25, 2016
- Ruud Gullit absolutely savages Spurs striker Vincent Janssen on MOTDSeptember 25, 2016
- Spurs set for three more major signings [Express]September 25, 2016
- Heung-Min Son shocked by his second goal for Spurs at Middlesbrough (video)September 24, 2016
- The form of Liverpool’s Philippe Coutinho is bad news for Chelsea’s WillianSeptember 8, 2016
- Chelsea star Willian posts incredible Instagram message to his mum suffering from cancerSeptember 8, 2016
- Willian to snub Man United with new Chelsea deal [Sun]June 22, 2016
- Chelsea’s Willian Instagrams from Brazil camp in response to Fat accusationsJune 4, 2016