Harry Wilson’s granddad retires after scooping £125,000 on the Liverpool’s teenage debut for Wales
- October 17, 2013
An incredible story has stemmed from Harry Wilson’s three minute cameo for Wales on Tuesday night.
Wilson, the 16-year-old Liverpool midfielder, set a new Welsh record away at Belgium when the teenager came off the bench to break Gareth Bale’s record to become his nation’s youngster ever international.
In doing so, Wilson has also allowed his 62-year-old granddad to retire.
Back when Wilson was just 18-months old, his granddad, Peter Edwards, placed a £50 bet with William Hill that his grandson would one day play for Wales.
Edwards received odds of 2500/1 on his bet, and on Tuesday night the doting grandfather was able to collect on his inspired bet. The payout is a cool £125,000.
Edwards, an electrical contractor by trade, has spoken to the press about his amazing, life-changing week, saying:
I was shattered because I had to wait for 85, 86 minutes before he came on and I was panicking because they’d already substituted twice, so I thought he wasn’t going to make it. But when he came on I had another glass of wine. (I was) a proud granddad first for sure.
I told my wife at half-time that my pulse was 106 – I didn’t know whether that was good or bad.
When he was about 18 months old he used to chase a ball around on the carpet before he could walk. I went into William Hill in Wrexham and asked them how I go about it. I had no idea how to do it and the manageress put me in touch with London.
I retired immediately. I told my manager yesterday that if Harry plays I wouldn’t be coming back. I’ve retired one year early. I have come home now and will not be going back. Not bad for a daft bet.
- Liverpool fans hail James Milner following 2 assists v HJK [Best Tweets]
- HJK Helsinki 0 – Liverpool 2: Divock Origi & Philippe Coutinho scored second...
- Al-Arabi boss Gianfranco Zola opens door to Liverpool reject Mario Balotelli [Gazzetta ...
- Wide Awake Club: 2 hours after leaving Liverpool, Rickie Lambert scores brace for West ...
- I had to leave Liverpool: Rickie Lambert gives 1st interview as a West Brom player (Video)
- Christian Benteke inherits Liverpool Number 9 shirt from Rickie Lambert [Echo]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi