Harry Wilson’s granddad retires after scooping £125,000 on the Liverpool’s teenage debut for Wales
- October 17, 2013
An incredible story has stemmed from Harry Wilson’s three minute cameo for Wales on Tuesday night.
Wilson, the 16-year-old Liverpool midfielder, set a new Welsh record away at Belgium when the teenager came off the bench to break Gareth Bale’s record to become his nation’s youngster ever international.
In doing so, Wilson has also allowed his 62-year-old granddad to retire.
Back when Wilson was just 18-months old, his granddad, Peter Edwards, placed a £50 bet with William Hill that his grandson would one day play for Wales.
Edwards received odds of 2500/1 on his bet, and on Tuesday night the doting grandfather was able to collect on his inspired bet. The payout is a cool £125,000.
Edwards, an electrical contractor by trade, has spoken to the press about his amazing, life-changing week, saying:
I was shattered because I had to wait for 85, 86 minutes before he came on and I was panicking because they’d already substituted twice, so I thought he wasn’t going to make it. But when he came on I had another glass of wine. (I was) a proud granddad first for sure.
I told my wife at half-time that my pulse was 106 – I didn’t know whether that was good or bad.
When he was about 18 months old he used to chase a ball around on the carpet before he could walk. I went into William Hill in Wrexham and asked them how I go about it. I had no idea how to do it and the manageress put me in touch with London.
I retired immediately. I told my manager yesterday that if Harry plays I wouldn’t be coming back. I’ve retired one year early. I have come home now and will not be going back. Not bad for a daft bet.
- Bryan Robson and Denis Irwin recreate famous Man United goals v Liverpool (Video)
- Rating the starting XIs of the Premier League top 6, ft. Chelsea & Arsenal (video)
- Liverpool’s Jose Enrique deletes Twitter & Instagram accounts to focus on fo...
- Liverpool defender Jose Enrique closing in on a move to West Brom [Sky Sports]
- Zlatan & Neymar move to Man United, Chelsea get confused trying to land Stones (44...
- Sunderland rescue Fabio Borini from Liverpool nightmare in £10 million deal
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...