Giroud misses chances, Ramsey sent off as Arsenal draw 0-0 with Besiktas in 1st leg [Tweets]
Giroud running through on goal http://t.co/YtlMwwORvy
— Footy Humour (@FootyHumour) August 19, 2014
Istanbul on a hot Tuesday night; never an easy place to go.
So Arsenal will be pleased overall to come away unscathed from their Champions League qualifier 1st leg against Besiktas tonight, taking a 0-0 back to London net week – especially as they played with 10 men for the final 10 minutes, Aaron Ramsey picking up a second yellow.
But it could have been nearly all wrapped up tonight had Olivier Giroud taken one of the several decent (half) chances that fell his way.
Some Gooners will likely be fretting, but then, Arsenal are seasoned pros at this Champions League qualification game.
Since they made 4th spot their birthright around 8 years ago (give or take a few Spurs aberrations), Arsenal have never failed to make the Champions League via this qualification route.
So a comfortable 2-0 win next week, right?
Ramsey off. Second yellow. Misses home leg. Very confused.
— Arsène's Son (@hughwizzy) August 19, 2014
Would've been weird being able to play all our best players next Wednesday anyway. Not an Arsenal thing to do.
— Culann Davies (@CulannDavies) August 19, 2014
I'm a fan of Giroud but don't understand how it's possible to play as bad as he has today
— Oli Price-Bates (@OliPriceBates) August 19, 2014
Looking forward to Claude's assessment of Giroud on @arsenalfantv after.
— Sam (@samuelJayC) August 19, 2014
Lot of Giroud slagging. Ignoring the fact the rest of the team looked clueless and sluggish this evening. Need. More. Pace
— Le Grove (@LeGrove) August 19, 2014
— Kevon Bedford ☯ (@Legendarykids) August 19, 2014
It's been a pretty lethargic performance… and yet, had Giroud been sharper, could be so comfortable.
— Miguel Delaney (@MiguelDelaney) August 19, 2014
Keep the clean sheet. We'll smash this lot at our gaff next week.
— FK (@fkhanage) August 19, 2014
Giroud is a fighter, Yeah, his first touch is not great, he turns at the speed of an oil tanker and his conversion rates suck, but he fights
— Ouriel Daskal (@Soccerissue) August 19, 2014
Watch Live Stream
- Contract Signal? Alexis Sanchez salutes Arsenal’s Invincibles on InstagramDecember 8, 2016
- Times claim Mesut Ozil & Alexis Sanchez may leave Arsenal for freeDecember 8, 2016
- Arsenal fan mashup goes viral trolling Spurs on their Champions League exit (Video)December 8, 2016
- Lots of Chelsea fans don’t even want Arsenal’s star player [Tweets]December 8, 2016
- Arsenal’s Olivier Giroud grabs PSG’s Edinson Cavani by the neck at half-time (Video)November 23, 2016
- Arsene Wenger discussed Olivier Giroud’s anger after Arsenal draw at Man United (video)November 20, 2016
- Arsenal’s Olivier Giroud breaks a Gilberto Silva record by scoring v Mourinho’s Man UnitedNovember 19, 2016
- Super-sub Olivier Giroud rescues point for Arsenal at Man United (Video)November 19, 2016