GIFs & Poll: Should Cristiano Ronaldo have won a penalty after Mascherano challenged him in the box?
- October 26, 2013
It was the key moment in the Clasico, and the moment Real Madrid fans will be upset about for quite some time.
With Barcelona leading 1-0 in the Nou Camp on Saturday night, Madridistas screamed blue murder for a penalty when Javier Mascherano collided with Cristiano Ronaldo in the Blaugrana box.
Referee Alberto Undiano waved the penalty shout aside, and fans of Los Blancos began shouting we’ve been robbed!
Several angles on the incident quickly came to the fore, and it became tricky to decide whether the officials had got the game-changing decision right.
From one angle it looked like Mascherano had given away a stonewall penalty with a reckless challenge from behind whilst not trying to play the ball. A second angle, however, confused the situation as it offered Barcelona defenders the opportunity to say Ronaldo milked a little nudge to elaborately fall in the box.
Barcelona went on to win the match 2-1, moving six points clear of Real Madrid in La Liga.
Watch two GIFs of Javier Mascherano’s challenge on Cristiano Ronaldo below.
- Anthony Martial’s move to Man United to be 5th biggest transfer fee of all time [...
- Done Deal: West Ham re-sign Barcelona’s Alex Song on a season long loan [Tweet]
- Barcelona’s Luis Suarez jokingly tried to bite Leo Messi backstage at UCL draw (V...
- Man United goalkeeper Victor Valdes’ move to Besiktas collapses [Di Marzio]
- David De Gea set to join Real Madrid in a cut price deal, Man United eye Gerard Pique [...
- Barcelona 1 – Malaga 0: Thomas Vermaelen scores the winner (Highlights)
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...