- Liverpool target Aston Villa’s Fabian Delph as Steven Gerrard replacement [Mirror]
- Eden Hazard agrees £52m Chelsea deal taking him through to 2020 [Sun]
- FC United of Manchester sing songs for Eric Cantona and The Busby Babes [Video]
- Jose Mourinho tells Talksport he was ‘inches away’ from signing Thierry Henry – for Barça!
- Spurs’ Emmanuel Adebayor posts tribute to Thierry Henry with picture of pair from Arsenal days
GIF: How did Antonio Valencia get away with a horrible challenge on Vurnon Anita?
“I was upset with that tackle. I thought it got lost a little bit (in the excitement of the finish). I don’t think Valencia has tried to hurt the player, he just timed it badly. It is too early to say how long he will be out for, but it’s a bang on the ankle and we’ll have to wait and see whether he’ll make Arsenal. He would be a loss to us because I thought he was terrific. You could argue our whole midfield from last year was out – we had no Gutiérrez, Tioté, (Yohan) Cabaye or (Hatem) Ben Arfa. Our midfield did well though, brilliantly well.” – Newcastle boss Alan Pardew.
There was much to admire from Manchester United on Boxing Day as they came from behind on three separate occasions to beat Newcastle 4-3.
But, there were some unsavoury elements including Sir Alex Ferguson’s rant at the linesman at half-time and a shocking tackle from Antonio Valencia in the last few seconds of the game.
Valencia, who has suffered serious injury himself, was undoubtedly going for the ball, but the fact the Manchester United winger was already on a booking means he was extremely fortunate to get away with a horrible foul on Anita.
The shocking challenge is on the GIF below. How Mike Dean didn’t see fit to book Valencia and subsequently send him off is quite unbelievable.
- Updated: December 27, 2012