Ghosts don’t exist! A new Brazilian video responds to Uruguay’s Phantom of 1950 Puma ad
- January 15, 2014
Bring on the World Cup!
Back at the end of November, Puma produced a brilliant advert stacked with historical context to launch the new Uruguay kit ahead of Brazil 2014.
The central tenant to the commercial, apart from publicising the new apparel, was to pay homage to Uruguay’s famous victory over Brazil in the 1950 World Cup final at the Maracana.
The “Maracanazo” as it became known left an indelible mark on Brazil who seemed set to win the World Cup final in front of a mammoth crowd, but the Samba Boys early 1-0 lead quickly turned into a 2-1 win for Uruguay and one of the greatest South America football stories was born.
Brazil’s goalkeeper in the 1950 World Cup final was Moacir Barbosa, who became a pariah in his own country as he was blamed for the turnaround defeat.
And, legend has it that a young Pele had to console his crying father as they listened to the match and promised him that he would personally bring home the Jules Rimey trophy, as he did eight years later.
Back to the future, a few months after Puma released their Phantom of 1950 advert we now have a response via a new video from Brazilian media company Lance. The video is called “Ghosts don’t exist!”
Watch the Puma video below together with the brand new comeback video from Lance.
- Brazil beat Colombia in the Pan Am final, sub Maurine scored an olimpico golazo with he...
- Chelsea’s Lucas Piazon scored a quality goal for Brazil at the Pan American Games...
- Fluminense unveil the signing of ex Barcelona superstar Ronaldinho to thousands of fans...
- Arsenal star Mesut Ozil pays for 11 more operations for sick Brazilian children [Quotes]
- Amazing: Bayern Munich’s Thomas Muller trolls Brazil a year on from the 7-1 defea...
- Barca’s Dani Alves: Pep Guardiola wanted to coach Brazil team for World Cup 2014 ...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi