Gay footballer Robbie Rogers (LA Galaxy) has written a letter to his 14-year-old self, posts on ESPN
- July 3, 2013
It’s been an emotional few months for American footballer Robbie Rogers.
Almost 5 months after becoming the first ever footballer to come out as gay, Robbie Rogers has since been riding a roller-coaster having quit from football only to return to the Beautiful Game by joining the LA Galaxy just a couple of days later.
Rogers’ epiphany to return to the game came when he spoke to a group of about 500 kids at the Nike Be True LGBT Youth Forum in Portland in April.
He told USA TODAY Sports in an exclusive interview about his return: “I seriously felt like a coward. These kids are standing up for themselves and changing the world, and I’m 25, I have a platform and a voice to be a role model. How much of a coward was I to not step up to the plate?”
Now an icon for gay rights in football, Rogers has now written an open letter to his 14-year-old self in which he has addressed his sexuality whilst going through puberty. Rogers posted his letter on ESPN.
Crucially, Robbie told his young self: “You’re not damned or going to hell. You didn’t have a choice in this. But you do have a purpose in life, just as everyone does.”
Read the superb open letter below.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...